Sean Quinn (1 Viewer)

It's a fair cop, egg_.
I suppose it's the product of terrible worries at the moemnt. Are they like this all the time?

i talked with someone who deals with him regular through work, and apparently he must be a real nice guy because when you mention anything to do with the reality of his dealings they start talking about what nice man he is and not to be mean about him. its weird.

its understandable - he brought a lot of employment to the area, and thusly became a local hero. also having a good grasp of the man of the people malarky is a good attribute for business in this country.
however, the willful unawareness of some of the heads interviewed of the fact that he, and he alone made a bags of everything is a bit much..

If he hadn't been such a gambler they wouldn't be in this shit now. There are many expressions of interest. Maybe they can still salvage the jobs.

A lad I know married his daughter, you should have seen the wedding, was like a rich Russian wedding gone mad. They flew off in a helicopter at the end on honeymoon.

pretty much, he gambled the insurance business on anglo irish bank and he's being made to pay the price

he also risked all those people's jobs on anglo irish and they still think he's wonderful? I guess that'd be the same for most places in ireland. we can get very defensive if a local person has done bad stuff i.e. tipperary with michael lowry

I think part of the concern locally is that if somebody comes in to buy the insurance group, especially when it comes to an international buyer, will they want to base their operation in Cavan?

It's mad though, we as a nation are in deep shit due to years of little or no regulation and a new guy comes in, actually does some regulating, and people start to complain.

how do you write off 762 million? HMD, loan me 762 million, then write it off. it'll be like nothing ever happened.

there are tax disadvantages to doing so

with related party loans which this is, they have had to pay 25% of the amount to the revenue when the loan was made and then this money is reclaimable when the loan is repaid (it also cannot be reclaimed on a director's loan if it is over 10 years old)

but as the loan was written off and not repaid, the 25% paid to revenue is therefore cannot be reclaimed by quinn as the loan cannot be repaid

but then again, i wonder if the €762million could be claimed against corporation tax. i'll annoy someone at work about it tomorrow

the reason being that it was written off was probably that the auditors thought that it's not collectible and by holding it at €762 in the accounts, it has a material affect on them.

I live in "Quinn Country"......and the "Quinners" here make me sick......Sean quinn is renowned around here for his gambling exploits..how he ran his first tile factory on a shoestring budjet, how he overcame the odds against the Big National Players...CRH, Overpriced Irish Insurers etc etc...
How he done it all and no one else "Done it"...or could do it ...in essence he took the people of an impoverished "Border Midlands and West" economic scene and bled them dry...through Grants from Thatcher, Haughey, Middle Eastern low interest loans and and many more besides........Plus the many behind "the scene operators" who pullled the strings
yes fair play to him he gave jobs...but the system is at fault ...he had been reported to the Monopolies and Mergers commision in the UK a long time ago .....His glass factory threatened the Jobs of Hundreds of people in Merseyside when it opened. what have we got here in Nama land Oirochtas Commitees and Tribunals.....Goldmines for Accountants and Solicitors to bleed the national war chest. The Local Mirth and babble has been going on here for years about what a "cute hoor" business man Sean Quinn is ( Lucinda Creighton watch out !) Some of Sean Quinns business practices were very shady in the beggining of his career. And are little remembered...since the early days he has done business in a shall we say unorthodox way... many, many, times. Lets face it he can and will do so.....because Ireland, in general has a lack of tough corporate legislation and enforecement of that particular law. The Brits put us to shame here as regards to standards in Corporate life. Yet so many Paddy Murphy Irish men revel in there sly greedy ways. be wary of Fine Gael they may be another version of Fianna Tail. Can The Irish people get it together and vote for a Part Politic of moral substance. I Dream that Labour are that Ticket....but lest face it too much power for too long corrupts all leaders in the end. Fianna Fail being the longest reigning regime in this country for so long. Its no fucking wonder the country is dying on its feet !

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back