"scumbags... skangers... knackers" (2 Viewers)

And you know something else?

It's kinda impressive the way every fucker who's read a 2 line summary of a court case in a newspaper thinks that they have a better grasp of the correct course of action than a someone who has actually sat there and considered all the evidence (i.e. the judge)

and why not spend the resources on education instead, which will probably have a much greater impact on crime?

Only if they actually go to school, and maybe not even then. Iwent to a secondary school which catered for people from an extremely wide range of backgrounds and worked hard to bring them all together and tried to ensure that no-one was discriminated against. In spite of this many of the 'troubled' or disadvantaged caused nothing but trouble when they were in school, mitched frequently and stopped coming to school quite early. I'm still in touch with some of them and they wish they had stayed in school, but with no support from their parents they didn't see the importance of it.

At least two of my classmates were seriously disturbed socio-paths though, and that's a different matter altogether. I don't know what kind of help they needed (one now dead and the other committed).

Anyway Pete I'm not sure I share your objections to "scumbag". Doesn't it normally refer to people who are characterised mostly by their nastiness?

I agree with this

Pete...
WORKING.jpg

Education is always the answer that's given to social problems, the problem is that the range of what is considered education is extremely small. This country used to have very small but significant industrial areas, the area around the coombe for example used to be home to a small furniture manufacturing industry. These ran on the existence of apprenticeships. During the 90s the number and range of apprenticeships dwindled and eventually became either hairdressing or something tied to the building trade. When this collapsed so did the hope of an alternative form of education for teens who do not give a fuck about maths or english, who perhaps have learning difficulties or as you say do not get the support at home. Even if you get a teenager into a Fas scheme the chances of getting full time employment at the end is very low

The problem isn't Johnny can't learn cos Johnny doesn't give a fuck, it's that there is nothing useful to Johnny for Johnny to learn, and all the well meaning education in the world will not change the fact that as Mr Frank Zobotka pointed out of Baltimore so is true here.

"We used to make shit in this country, now we just put our hand in the next guys pocket"

I mean "working class" it's in the fucking title.

In spite of this many of the 'troubled' or disadvantaged caused nothing but trouble when they were in school, mitched frequently and stopped coming to school quite early. I'm still in touch with some of them and they wish they had stayed in school, but with no support from their parents they didn't see the importance of it.
this is the thing. there are so many people who see any analysis of the issue as being useless and revert to the 'they're just shitbags and that's that' attitude; which would imply that these people arrived fully formed full of malice into the world.

Washingcattle, on your point, the school I went to had a very broad syllabus, with as much focus on practical subjects as academic ones, and a broad extra-curricular schedule too (arts, sports, science, language and technical). There were several engineering firms in the area (within 12 miles) who regularly took apprentices and the school also arranged scholarships for gifted students. One of the two guys I was talking about in my post above was an extremely gifted artist and the school did everything they could to encourage him and support him (he was a psycho).

But even with all of that there were still students who felt no desire to succeed at anything and chose to drop out rather than to find their potential. Very sad.

Join the Culchie Control Platform. Fighting to keep Dublin Culchie Free since 1014. Skanger is an old Norse word, one of our Skangers killed a Culchie King in 1014.

I dislike the term "nordie".I also dislike the term "culchie".

I prefer "country folk" for the latter.I havent an alternative for the former..havent given it much thought..much like this post

^^^ gaz for most reasonable west brit of the year.

Shurrup you you nordie prick..

Edit..that reminds me..I dreamt I joined the British Army last night.

I was only doing it to get fit though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back