"scumbags... skangers... knackers" (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Knock it off. I thought people posting here were a bit more clued in than that.

If you want to refer to people like that, go write for the Sunday Independent.

scumbags is just a general derogatory though isnt it? like

"who stole your bike"
"some scumbag"

the next two are demeaning terms for parts of society, so i can see why they get a moratorium or whatever.
I've often been called a culchie and a nordie, i mostly have a sense of humour about it but if you are going to be saying that people cant use those kind of terms, then why not be comprehensive about it?

Yeah lets just turn a blind eye to what is pretty much the cancer of modern Irish society.

Lets lump these people in with other decent yet disadvantaged folk so they are all tarred with the same brush, just because we are too afraid to be seen as being discriminatory.

People need to stop being so fucking PC and wake the fuck up. So these people have had a tough background, boo fucking hoo. A large percentage of serial killers have been know to have suffered abuse or unstable families when young. Should we just cut them some slack because they didn't have the same chances we have? Not fucking likely.

The fact of the matter is there is a large percentage of our society who have little or no respect for anyone and seem to be pretty much allowed to do what ever they want, all while the rest of Irish society is forced to treat them like the elephant in the room. To make excuses for them because they are "disadvantaged" or whatever is so disrespectful to those who are "disadvantaged" yet still try to contribute to society, live by the laws, and most importantly treat the rest of society with respect.

Those who can't seem to do that, well I have no shame in calling them a fucking scumbag.

Sorry for the anger in this post (it's not directed at anyone here in particular) but after some of the events that transpired this weekend, this issue is a serious bone of contention for me.

Knackers is not a term I would use because it is used in a racist sense towards Travellers, I know that its also used against skangers.

I make no apology for using the term skanger. When I use it, it refers to a certain type of person, not everyone that comes from disadvantaged areas is a skanger. But even Marx recognised the existence of an under class, the lumpen proletariat. A criminal class which preyed on the working class as well as other strata of society.

And of course you get a lot of middle class skangers.

Yeah lets just turn a blind eye to what is pretty much the cancer of modern Irish society.

Lets lump these people in with other decent yet disadvantaged folk so they are all tarred with the same brush, just because we are too afraid to be seen as being discriminatory.

People need to stop being so fucking PC and wake the fuck up. So these people have had a tough background, boo fucking hoo. A large percentage of serial killers have been know to have suffered abuse or unstable families when young. Should we just cut them some slack because they didn't have the same chances we have? Not fucking likely.

The fact of the matter is there is a large percentage of our society who have little or no respect for anyone and seem to be pretty much allowed to do what ever they want, all while the rest of Irish society is forced to treat them like the elephant in the room. To make excuses for them because they are "disadvantaged" or whatever is so disrespectful to those who are "disadvantaged" yet still try to contribute to society, live by the laws, and most importantly treat the rest of society with respect.

Those who can't seem to do that, well I have no shame in calling them a fucking scumbag.

Sorry for the anger in this post (it's not directed at anyone here in particular) but after some of the events that transpired this weekend, this issue is a serious bone of contention for me.

You're not actually suggesting that throwing around derogatory and racist terms is somehow going to sort out Ireland's social problems are you?

You're not actually suggesting that throwing around derogatory and racist terms is somehow going to sort out Ireland's social problems are you?

Racist???

I think you're the racist one if you think that this phenomenon is limited one single class or social group.

Seriously, peole have no problem calling rapists, and paedophiles scumbags but as soon as it comes to other people it apparently "racist"??

Racist???

I think you're the racist one if you think that this phenomenon is limited one single class or social group.

Seriously, peole have no problem calling rapists, and paedophiles scumbags but as soon as it comes to other people it apparently "racist"??

Calling Travellers 'knackers', which some people have been doing on the board over the last while, is racist in my book. The other terms are derogatory in my opinion. My main point above was that you seem to be suggesting that calling people 'scumbags' is somehow facing up to what you've termed 'the cancer of Irish society'.

Acknowledging the fact that these people are a a seperate entity from "disadvantaged" and "lower class" (god i hate that term) people is facing up to the issue.

Acknowledging the fact that these people are a a seperate entity from "disadvantaged" and "lower class" (god i hate that term) people is facing up to the issue.

And to do that we need to label those who you consider 'the cancer of Irish society' as 'scumbags'? That's how we face up to Ireland's social problems? This conversation seems to be going around in circles. Let's just agree to disagree.

Actually, using the term knacker to refer to people how behave in an antisocial or illegal manner is offensive to knackers. I know several knackers, they perform a very necessary and socially beneficial service and polluting their reputation by linking it with people who chose to cause harm and disrespect their fellow man is in poor taste.

For better or worse labelling is prevalent in society and almost everyone is subjected to it on some level, regardless of their actual behaviour. That doesn't make it right. I do find it amusing that people who would object to someone being labelled a 'scumbag' even though they have behaved like one, think nothing of using derogatory labelling towards people belonging to other social or economic groups, like Christians, farmers, bankers...

As long as these things are discussed at group level, rather than individual level, there will be that problem. The issues at the concerts in the Phoenix Park were with certain individuals who should be individually held accountable for their behaviour. Labelling them, or making it about their socio-economic status, actually reduces their liability. Instead of saying X is a sociopath we (society) say X belongs to a group of disenfranchised youth, or X is one of many scumbags (depending on outlook). Either one gives X an excuse to continue with that behaviour, cos it's not X's fault.

there's always a disconnect between what people want done to scumbags in the form of 'justice' and what would need to be done to rectify the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back