"scumbags... skangers... knackers" (2 Viewers)

The thread title keeps putting this song into my head

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't have a problem with the word skanger or scumbag, I would put it in the same bracket as bogger or prick. Knacker is definitely a loaded terms and when used for travellers is undoubtedly offensive.

In Cork, i've heard the word 'whacker', which I quite like.

whacker, spide, ned, skanger..are all derogatory terms for specifically working class anti-social asshole, as opposed to any other class of anti-social asshole

are we allowed to say 'asshole'?

I would class the likes of Bertie Ahern, Sean Fitzgerald, Padraig Flynn, Denis O'Brien, numerous Bishops, Priests etc as a bigger cancer on Irish society than any of the stereotypes mentioned so far is this thread but it's good to know that the destruction of Irish society is being blamed on a different bunch of people altogether.

Its not that they're the only ones responsible just that they tend to be excused their behaviour because they're 'disadvantaged'.Which,frankly,is a pile of bollix.

I'm also unfamiliar with people being excused for their behaviour because of their background. Can someone point me to a court ruling where someone received a lighter sentence or something like that because of said background. It's not like Ireland is overrun with bleeding heart liberals is it?

Its not that they're the only ones responsible just that they tend to be excused their behaviour because they're 'disadvantaged'.Which,frankly,is a pile of bollix.
does social deprivation increase the chances of someone ending up 'on the wrong side of the tracks'? almost certainly.
does social deprivation provide an excuse for someone stoving in some random punter's head at a gig? most definitely not.

lots of people focus on the latter point, to the extent that anyone arguing along the lines of a former point is accused of being soft.

I'm also unfamiliar with people being excused for their behaviour because of their background. Can someone point me to a court ruling where someone received a lighter sentence or something like that because of said background. It's not like Ireland is overrun with bleeding heart liberals is it?

I wouldn't use that term myself but certainly,there is more than enough people willing to excuse bad behaviour on the grounds of disadvantage.There's plenty of other people suffering disadvantages in
life,excusing the minority their behaviour discredits all the others who don't use their situation as an excuse to do as they please.

But can you give me an example of something like a court ruling where this happens or is it all just hearsay and people you know excusing this behaviour or does it actually happen where it matters?

People = shit

Yeah, prefer to hang out with bonobos myself.

16146843.png

Scumbag is derived from the contemptible concept of the used condom.

Ironic there's so fucking many of them.

I don't think you can get overly sensitive about being compared to a used Johnny. It's too funny.

I wouldn't use that term myself but certainly,there is more than enough people willing to excuse bad behaviour on the grounds of disadvantage

Surely the exact opposite is the case - you're far more likely to get away with something if you're rich rather than poor

Anyway Pete I'm not sure I share your objections to "scumbag". Doesn't it normally refer to people who are characterised mostly by their nastiness?

Not on a national level, but if you open up the courts pages for any town/regional newspaper, you'll see loads of cases where offenders are given leaner sentences due to their poor/dysfunctional/crap backgrounds.

It's high time the government started taking a zero tolerance approach against assaults/petty crime.

Not on a national level, but if you open up the courts pages for any town/regional newspaper, you'll see loads of cases where offenders are given leaner sentences due to their poor/dysfunctional/crap backgrounds.
... and if someone from a respectable background shows up in court, you'll see them given more lenient sentences still.

Anyway, it's not the government that passes sentences

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back