Running? (3 Viewers)

Yeah treadmills are absolutely brilliant crack..you can really rack up some handy quick kms on them but they dont really translate to the road

Yeah like what is it, I can do 5k on a treadmill no bother, but when I go to do 3k around the park beside me I'm bolloxed (still trying to get back in to shape mind), is it just the fucking wind or something? There was one day last week I did it and was totally fine, then 1 day this week I got 5 minutes away and just couldn't be fucked and stopped for little walks about 4 times

after screwing up my ankle back in sept only recently out running again

not pushed about times at all at all. However, only recently added my routes to the strava app. does give a nice personal incentive to push yourself a bit more to try and beat a previous time etc. when in the mood like

before lockdown was pretty much always doing laps of a local park (temp.closed these days) which has a track just over 1.2 km long. very easy to pack it in when you might have more in the tank doing laps. finding since i'm out on the road doing one planned circuit it's much better to push yourself that bit more

Yeah like what is it, I can do 5k on a treadmill no bother, but when I go to do 3k around the park beside me I'm bolloxed (still trying to get back in to shape mind), is it just the fucking wind or something? There was one day last week I did it and was totally fine, then 1 day this week I got 5 minutes away and just couldn't be fucked and stopped for little walks about 4 times
Theres absolutely no resistance or terrain variation on a treadmill..it takes waaaaaay less effort. Running on ground employs nearly every muscle in your body..keeping you stable and negotiating bumps and then you add in air resistance and all the barely visible little hills(barely visible until you've run up them a few times that is) and its a whole other world of pain and misery..but ultimately we hope its a story of triumph and redemption starring Tom Hanks as Forest Gump

I adjusted my route to avoid that big hill..did 4k non stop just there.

I feel FAN FUCKING TASTIC

As I opened a 1KG tub of gummy sweets in the 'office' yesterday I made the decision to go for a bastard run today. Have to break out the running gear from 2012. Fuck. Look how muggy it is. Fuck this shit.

Yeah..walking just wears you out theres no fitness to be had out of it

I tried to do this running myself a few times recently but I noticed that I got this weird stingy burning sensation on my skin along the side of the knees and the thighs, after three or four days, different from the muscle stiffness and aches which arrived sooner and were expected. Is this tingly burny thing normal?

The process of getting in shape is full of pain and discomfort. I havent heard of that particular one but all kinds of misery does beset me when I start out. The trick is to stop only if its something that might be serious..otherwise plough through like a hard bastard and the niggles usually go away

Theres absolutely no resistance or terrain variation on a treadmill..it takes waaaaaay less effort. Running on ground employs nearly every muscle in your body..keeping you stable and negotiating bumps and then you add in air resistance and all the barely visible little hills(barely visible until you've run up them a few times that is) and its a whole other world of pain and misery..but ultimately we hope its a story of triumph and redemption starring Tom Hanks as Forest Gump

I largely do loops around the neighbourhood. add dodging kids and oldies into the mix and it will easily add the equivalent of a couple of K onto your route.

The process of getting in shape is full of pain and discomfort. I havent heard of that particular one but all kinds of misery does beset me when I start out. The trick is to stop only if its something that might be serious..otherwise plough through like a hard bastard and the niggles usually go away
big time man. after staying away from running after a bad ankle sprain for a good few months, I started very gradually going back to it with a good bit of strapping etc but didn't see any difference in the mild discomfort I still had. After taking off the strapping and running more regularly it ironed out the kinks nicely. been running about 20km a week for 6 months now. delighted with myself. Finding Talking Heads albums on the headphones these weeks is really adding to the experience too! Particularly the live album The Name Of This Band Is...

i've been running since early jan. joined an athletics club to begin with, which nearly killed me, but i pushed through the pain and eventually it died down. during lock down, when the club was closed, i was running 9k/day mon-fri solo. now i'm back doing a combination of training with the althletics club tue+thur and running 7-10k mon, wed, fri. any more and i start to hurt too much, so i take the weekend off. doing about 40-45k/week

i think i'd have gotten into a very bad state, mentally, if not for the running. it's a life saver. but there is a persistent level of leg pain that just never really goes away. the club is good because you sort of lean on other people to push yourself harder than you could do alone. i come away from the training feeling amazingly good.

the other thing i find is that running is quite like meditation in that you're constantly focusing on the breathing, clears the mind, etc. i meditate a bit at other times, and the combination of the two (plus reading books) is great for the head.

i've been running since early jan. joined an athletics club to begin with, which nearly killed me, but i pushed through the pain and eventually it died down. during lock down, when the club was closed, i was running 9k/day mon-fri solo. now i'm back doing a combination of training with the althletics club tue+thur and running 7-10k mon, wed, fri. any more and i start to hurt too much, so i take the weekend off. doing about 40-45k/week

i think i'd have gotten into a very bad state, mentally, if not for the running. it's a life saver. but there is a persistent level of leg pain that just never really goes away. the club is good because you sort of lean on other people to push yourself harder than you could do alone. i come away from the training feeling amazingly good.

the other thing i find is that running is quite like meditation in that you're constantly focusing on the breathing, clears the mind, etc. i meditate a bit at other times, and the combination of the two (plus reading books) is great for the head.
Glad to hear you get a persistent level of leg pain...if you know what I mean.
Shins and general leg misery does kick in a bit for me and often quietly moan to myself that I'm probably the minority with this shite but not the case I'm sure. do find if I push myself to finish the last kilometre or so strongly the extra bit of heavier impact on the concrete definitely is felt the next day or two.
Jogging with a couple of friends tonight, haven't done non solo run in years. Not a huge fan generally, I have grown to really enjoy the focus of it on my own

Never too old. But shre do both!

Thats what I do. Cycling when I'm working. Jogging when Im not

Users who are viewing this thread

• Activity
    So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
    The Sugar Club
    8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
    Back