Running? (1 Viewer)

Just started the couch to 5k. Run one done. Not as bad as feared. And applied for the bike to work scheme. Any tips for a jogging/running newbie?
I think logging your runs on Stava or other such apps is a good motivation. I set my own loose targets for the year to hit. It’s good to keep the interest going and as an incentive to get up off my arse during those unmotivated evenings. Nice to maybe see a little improvement here and there. Works for me anyway

Just started the couch to 5k. Run one done. Not as bad as feared. And applied for the bike to work scheme. Any tips for a jogging/running newbie?
By virtue of posting in on this forum, it can be assumed you're old as fuck.

Most important bit of advice I'd give is listen like mad to your body. A mild sprain/overstretch of any piece of you can very quickly develop into something that'll stop you running for weeks, if not months, so it's so vital not to let that happen, or you'll lose the momentum to keep going. If you do get injured, see a physio or GP asap.

Decent runners, everyone has a different gait for running so it's worth heading somewhere like Amphibian King where they'll get you to run on a 20ft piece of track, so they can see what style of shoe you need.

Stretching is a must, and investing in a foam roller helps that enormously. You can turn a 10 minute post run stretching session into 2 minutes with the foam roller and it's even more effective. They're like a tenner on Amazon.

Get some variant of a heart monitor (apple watch etc), and pay attention to it. There's a thing called rate of perceived exertion, where you calculate how much effort you're putting in, whether it's too little or too much.
You calculate it by taking your age away from 220 and multiplying by 0.75 (light intensity), 0.85 (moderate intensity) and 0.95 (high). You can start fucking around with things like 10 minutes at light and then 30 seconds of moderate x 3, back to light for 10, which will develop speed/strength etc. If you're just starting out on a couch to 5km, you don't want to get above light.

Hydrate and protein within 30 minutes of a run to kickstart the muscles repairing.

Always be humming Chariots of Fire.

Take it super handy. Handier than you think . Just be consistant

Eat less food. The lighter you are the easier it is.

cycling is easier on your joints. plus, the lycra makes you look cool.
Sure Jan GIF

Running isnt bad for your joints. Maybe being super tubby and running is but being normal weight no problem.

The problems all stem from WEAKNESS. You need to build up strength ....SLOWLY..to prevent injury.

Not a runner but lots of this ...

By virtue of posting in on this forum, it can be assumed you're old as fuck.

Most important bit of advice I'd give is listen like mad to your body. A mild sprain/overstretch of any piece of you can very quickly develop into something that'll stop you running for weeks, if not months, so it's so vital not to let that happen, or you'll lose the momentum to keep going. If you do get injured, see a physio or GP asap.

Decent runners, everyone has a different gait for running so it's worth heading somewhere like Amphibian King where they'll get you to run on a 20ft piece of track, so they can see what style of shoe you need.

Stretching is a must, and investing in a foam roller helps that enormously. You can turn a 10 minute post run stretching session into 2 minutes with the foam roller and it's even more effective. They're like a tenner on Amazon.

Get some variant of a heart monitor (apple watch etc), and pay attention to it. There's a thing called rate of perceived exertion, where you calculate how much effort you're putting in, whether it's too little or too much.

You calculate it by taking your age away from 220 and multiplying by 0.75 (light intensity), 0.85 (moderate intensity) and 0.95 (high). You can start fucking around with things like 10 minutes at light and then 30 seconds of moderate x 3, back to light for 10, which will develop speed/strength etc. If you're just starting out on a couch to 5km, you don't want to get above light.

Hydrate and protein within 30 minutes of a run to kickstart the muscles repairing.

Always be humming Chariots of Fire.

Is really good advice for any sort of exercise, especially if you're an old codger like we all are. Especially the stuff about stretching, you've be amazed and how much more flexible you can become with not a lot of effort.

Not a runner but lots of this ...

Is really good advice for any sort of exercise, especially if you're an old codger like we all are. Especially the stuff about stretching, you've be amazed and how much more flexible you can become with not a lot of effort.
Say it.

wrestlemania x8 wrestling GIF by WWE

Running isnt bad for your joints. Maybe being super tubby and running is but being normal weight no problem.

The problems all stem from WEAKNESS. You need to build up strength ....SLOWLY..to prevent injury.

I'd second these from DUdley and Go
  • Stretching and foam rolling is vital for helping prevent injuries, and it feels goooood. Work those glutes, baby.
  • Running is not bad for your joints. It will make your joints stronger.
  • Can't agree more on the consistency - get up and go out and do it when you said you would. You'll never regret actually doing a run.
  • Consider finding a ParkRun near you. Commit to it. They are awesome.
  • I like looking at reels on Instagram of runners, it helps with motivation and tips.
  • Do some kind of strength training - like pushups and squats. And try to work up to single leg squats, they are hard but worthwhile.
  • Run up hills, they will make you a better runner.
Have some goals. Like you want to run a sub 30 minute 5k and go from there.
I started from zero last year and I have done a 20 minute 5k, a sub 45 10k and a 1:31 half marathon.
I want to run a BQ time in a full marathon. We shall see if I have that in me.
But all of this has done wonders for how I feel about myself and my body. You are going to love yourself again. And be a better person for the people that love you.

Half of running is mental.
It is beating that part of your brain that says stay on the couch, and getting out.
And that part of your brain that is saying "Stop!" when you know you should go on.

And because this is real talk. I have never had better positivity and attitude to life than I do when I'm running. It is free drugs for you brain. And they are awesome.

Good luck.

I'And because this is real talk. I have never had better positivity and attitude to life than I do when I'm running. It is free drugs for you brain. And they are awesome.

100% agree with this, but my attempts at running led to a lot of ankle and knee pain that stopped me from doing it again.

i want a rowing machine but have nowhere to put one

I've been doing a half an hour-ish exercise 5 days a week (every lunchtime) for nearly 5 years, maybe one of those per week would be a 5k run. Switched my routine to do dancing lessons instead every day for around 3 months, and now I've gone back to my normal stuff it's way harder :( I have the fitness to skip or run (and strength to do one-legged squats), but my legs HURT and are really achey afterwards for ages. Gonna give the legs a rest for a week and see if it helps

100% agree with this, but my attempts at running led to a lot of ankle and knee pain that stopped me from doing it again.

i want a rowing machine but have nowhere to put one

A rowing machine is about the size of a kid's bed - could you convince one of your children to run off and join the circus?
Or could you store the machine vertically when not in use? (I have no idea if this is possible)
Ask your wife. Women are like life engineers; they solve problems.

My experience is not yours but I got some knee pain early doors
It was because I wasn't stretching and rolling enough - my leg muscles were tightening and pulling at my ligaments.
Dunno anything about ankles though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back