Running? (1 Viewer)

I've been doing a half an hour-ish exercise 5 days a week (every lunchtime) for nearly 5 years, maybe one of those per week would be a 5k run. Switched my routine to do dancing lessons instead every day for around 3 months, and now I've gone back to my normal stuff it's way harder :( I have the fitness to skip or run (and strength to do one-legged squats), but my legs HURT and are really achey afterwards for ages. Gonna give the legs a rest for a week and see if it helps
Man, I wish I had the wherewithal to do dancing classes. Truly. My coordination is lacking. Good for you, brother.

Have you been foam-rolling the legs?

I dunno if you need wherewithal to do dancing classes. It's just videos of people dancing, and telling you how to do it, step by step
Is it Youtubes or something you pay for?

I'd love to do this. Or I think I'm the type of person who would love to do this.

Ah, by wherewithal you meant funds? $20 a month, which is WAY cheaper than anything you'd get in person. Week's free trial. Decent value I think
No
Morelike trying it and then feeling I'm an absolute coordination shitshow and talking myself out of keeping on doing it
I found it very difficult to get even small gains

For me anyway with the online stuff I'd mostly be doing it on my own, in front of a full length mirror carried from my eldest's room. I would not say I'm a natural, but I feel like I've learned to dance a bit better and that's been fun

My eldest has been doing dancing lessons since she was 6, and it's her that kind of inspired me. She just looks so effortlessly cool and I thought if she can learn then maybe I can too

Most of my excercise is involuntary at this point but swimming and occasional surfing and cycling when i can get it. dudley's advice looks solid and I've already witnessed one whole cycle of thumped people getting into running and then that turning into back problems so if you can find low impact stuff go for it.

One mad thing about excercise that i never saw coming was the more reasonable amounts of excercise you do, the more energy you have.

i have resigned myself to a life of not dancing, because if i try i look like a dead pig being electrocuted and the situation is not recoverable.
My initial goal is to go from a dead farm yard animal, to a stunned woodland creature and go from there

Just got MRI results - my broked foot is less broken

Officially "Nondisplaced transverse fracture proximal metadiaphysis second metatarsal with periosteal reaction/partial healing."

Bodies are amazing

I'm (almost) back, baby!
A summer of running

Gonna be hitting them corners in them low-low's, girl

Jazes thats a great time well done
I've done 21:24 at ParkRun
Would love LOVE a sub-20, but that's an order of magnitude improvement

And the doc just told me today that I shouldn't run for 6-8 weeks based on my MRI.
And he's kinda annoyed about me running at the weekend.

Need to find a way around all of this.
I'm 52. A year off is a HUGE deal.
Gonna try and find a trainer who can recommend weight training for my legs and core, so that when I can return to running I am not starting from scratch. Get cardio elsewhere.
Gotta take some positives from this, but it is really hard.

Last edited:
Half the reason I am doing this is mental health. I feel good about myself when I am running regularly and I am a better friend, brother, boyfriend, plus-one, co-worker and whatever else when I have those free happy brain chemicals in my head.

ETA
This is my fastest 5k
But on a treadmill - so it's the IVan Drago perfect conditions computer version (i.e. sneaky) and not the Rocky out-there-doing-it -for-real version of a 5k

1655821174785.png

Sorry for blathering on. I know I can wear on people.

Half the reason I am doing this is mental health. I feel good about myself when I am running regularly and I am a better friend, brother, boyfriend, plus-one, co-worker and whatever else when I have those free happy brain chemicals in my head.

ETA
This is my fastest 5k
But on a treadmill - so it's the IVan Drago perfect conditions computer version (i.e. sneaky) and not the Rocky out-there-doing-it -for-real version of a 5k

View attachment 15844

Sorry for blathering on. I know I can wear on people.
Ok there Bressie

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back