chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Originally posted by Speed Racer
We need reviewers on thumped.

I've tried to get this back off the ground a few times. Back in the day there were a couple of regular contributors.... i guess they got bored / pissed off with the inevitable criticism.

So is anyone up for it? I feel real guilty, cause every now and then people post me stuff "for review" and to be honest, i can't do the writing thing at all at all, and don't have anyone else to ask to do it.

Volunteers?

What happened to that reviews forum idea?

Not sure if this would actually work - probably end up with people registering accounts to praise their own / mates bands.... maybe i'm just too cynical.

edit: more likely to happen would be people registering accounts for slagging purposes.

We miss you, Dr. J. Please come back.

Originally posted by Ed
A review:

Stuff is really, really, really good

See, now that's also part of the problem.

Too many reviews written by the people, of the people, for the people wind up heaping praise on what quite often is absolute shite.

Nobody's got the balls to be honest. Including me.

i'm stickying this one for a while

also: let's keep it on topic, shall we. you know who you are.

Originally posted by Ed
I'm most certainly not of the people, bunch of prick them people

I'm assuming you posted this while i was editing my previous post, then?

Carry on. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

Halfset - thingy they gave to me months back:

When all is so formal with HTML,
And thoughts bounce around my head,
And I cannot simply ignore that smell
Of the small dead rat underneath my bed

But when I turn on the Media Player
And switch to that sweet Mark's Song
My ears perk up and I'm no longer a nay-sayer
And smile as I hum this all day long.

They'll be playing the Ballroom very soon mehopes.

Rollers/Sparkers - Geography for the Leaving

World War II told through the eyes of a kaelidiscope.

Bjork - Vespertine

When you were six and mammy and daddy were infallible and the kitchen was bigger than the hideout you made on your bed and sunny days were all that mattered and you took out the big jar of honey and tried to eat a big spoon getting it all over your t-shirt and mammy not terribly happy at this situation but you couldn't care because you've just realised how sweet honey is and you'll be fighting against a big alien thing when you get to bed.

Sigh.

The long version:
Gravitas.

It's something i've been thinkng a lot about lately. There was an episode of Kavanagh QC a few years back, with the late, great John Thaw on form as usual.

Kavanagh is strolling through a forest with a ladyfriend one afternoon. A cross-country runner approaches them, and asks directions to the local village. Not saying a word, Kavanagh points one way; his lady friend the other.

The runner looks at them both, and runs in the direction indicated by Kavanagh.

His lady friend looks at him, bemused.

"Why did he believe you, and not me?", she enquires.

"Gravitas", he replies.

They continue their afternoon walk.

The short version.
It's a pain in the arse when people don't take heed of what I say in work, but will you fuckers please pay attention to what i say here? Please?

eyethankewwwwwwww

To get people to listen to you in a "work" situation you need to be an aggressive prick. Something you are not.

Oh yea, reviews (keeping it on topic)

..this is me just typing out loud buh are we talkin about reviewing gigs (dublin) AND albums/records, what are the criteria..or is it anything goes?..I can see a conflict of interest with a lot of thumpsters (bein as they are mostly in bands themselves) maybe the reviewers should be people who aren't in bands for the gigs and the bands people get to do the records..I dunno..that alll sounds a bit nazi formal though. But other wise you end up with a bit of the old back slappin that thumped gets accused of (you know who you are) ..mmmmm.

Originally posted by GrRrrrR
Simple. Point, counter-point. No review gets printed unless there's a second review of the same gig/cd/whateva.

Hmmm

Sort of like what Crash & Zzap 64 used to do?

Or you can vet reviewers, maybe - after a reviewer has done a couple of reviews without just being a back-slapper/slagger-offer, then he/she would be allowed post em on their own
(e.g. the pope)

P.S. Pope please don't tell me who you are, I like thinking that you're an objective outsider

P.P.S. Yeah yeah Silo music is always subjective I know I KNOW ok?

i'll do some reviews. i'm bored. i'm objective. not bitchy. i don't know how to slap backs. i'm honest to a fault. i'll go to gigs. i'm willing to pay in. no one knows me. i'm not in a band. i don't want to make friends with you. i don't drink. i don't smoke. i me mine.

There should be a simple rule.

REVIEWERS MUST REMAIN ANONYMOUS.

Thats the only way this thing is gonna work. If people in bands have met you already. No deal. Remaining objective and honest will therefore be easier. Oh and a second review is a good idea. Due to personal tastes etc.

Addin my two penn 'orth.

Theres not enough reviews anywhere except h*tpr*ss and they can be distinctly one-sided. I emailed a website asking them if they considered having gig reviews, they replied saying they do them (ie the contributions people added) These so-called reviews amounted to about 2 posts with the same 2 or 3 people talking about gigs being cancelled or gigs going on sale. I gave up.

Why do we not have more review sites, I have to admit buying the NME to find out what bands are like live because they are the best in the business -no contest-.
Id do it myself but I dont have the vocabulary only the passion.

It is a mystery how so many people go toSlane/Witness/ambass/olymp/tbmc and if you werent there you will never know what it was like.

Thumped forum!bing why dont you create a section from start page of forum for REVIEWS and the posting thereof, and encourage people to add to it I mean how many people on this board actually go to gigs, i would guess a fairly high percentage, try it before you buy it i say.

Sermon over but it seems easy to me, let the people have their voice...got that sounds crap even in a corny way but you get my drifter surely.
I mean how many times have you got into a band (or dissed them) because someone has told you about them.

ill get me coat

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back