Reverb (1 Viewer)

cunt

Yo technocrats,

Anyone have any good recommendations for a reverb unit, either hardware or software? I've never really found one I love. Wouldn't mind spending a bit on a hardware unit, so long as it's not silly money - ideally not more than £300, but would consider paying more if it was really worth it. I see some vintage reverbs doing the rounds on ebay for ok money and while they may be cheap gems, they may also be a hunk of shit. I've no real frame of reference. The lexicon MPX 500 any use (has delay too which would be a bonus)? What are your favourites?

Cunt

hey if you're talking software for 500 bux you can get altiverb - it's convolution reverb and really is the nicest i've heard in the software world, especially if you combine it wit some really good imulse responses e.g acousticas stuff..

hardware reverb is usually quite a bit of money for really good shit, but i like the idea of something cheap that has a lot of character, i would say check out late seventies dynacord stuff on ebay - i got a drs78 for less than 300 recently and it sounds cool - very joy division and also has delay on it..

or else you might get a binson copycat for less than 300 which also does lovely things..

or some kind of tape echo..

or else try to make a plate - something i'd love to try to do, apparantly you can make one for between 100 and 500 if you know what you are doing, we were using one recently for rednecks album and it is the most beautiful reverb sound i have ever heard :)

When it comes to reverb, I'm a big fan of springs. In terms of new stuff, the Vermona Retroverb or the more expensive Retubeverb are both magical. The Retroverb also has analogue filters on it which are immense and have trigger inputs for some rhythmic reverb madness. But they do come in slightly above your budget (between 349 and 449 I think). If you can track down a Roland Space Echo in good nick they are also supreme. The spring in them is tiny but very tasty. If you're not sure what spring reverb sounds like listen to some classic 70's reggae or for a more recent taster, put some headphones on and listen to the bit when the bass comes in on White Stripes 7 Nation Army. It sends the spring unit boinging all over the shop. Nice.
As far as digital units go, you usually get what you pay for so for 300euro they're probably more "character" than quality (considering a state of the art Bricasti will set you back the guts of 8 grand) but I've got an Alesis Quadraverb and the plate simulations can be nice.
Have you tried making your own? As in: stick a speaker in the bath, mic it up and send what you like through it (vocals, bass, drums...) and adjust volume to taste. In combo with nice preamps you can get some workable stuff. Just watch out for dripping cisterns. There is one clearly audible on a track I put out a few years ago.

Here Rickie, could you explain how this works please... Are they like pre-sets for another plugin that works in a host like Pro Tools??? If so, what plugin?

cheers
Sorrry, that was a er missprint. Richie

Sorrry, that was a er missprint. Richie

you shoot white noise into the reverb unit or space and then that triggers the unit to work.. then you remove the white noise so you have a sample of the particular reverb or space...

then a convolution reverb it allows you to meld the sample of the reverb with your input signal so it sounds like you are using the reverb or space you have sampled..

there are some really weird ones around like peoples noses etc. which are beyond me but then you can also get responses from really expensive units for much cheaper and pretty much the same (ish) :) sound

plug in wise for pro tools i'm not too sure about.. i know altiverb mentioned above works but is quite steep i'm sure there are cheaper ones work too

Yeh if you're using convolution reverb Space Designer is the equivalent in Logic. SIR1 is freely available but is PC only. I think SIR2 works on Mac but isn't free. You can use anything as a filter in a convolution unit also, it doesn't have to be an impulse response, any .wav or .aiff file can work because all you're doing is (as far as I know) using the sample values from one sound file to set the coefficients of a filter for a second one. You can make some fairly interesting soundscapy stuff without doing an awful lot.

Also you can make your own impulse responses of a room if you want, but its a complete pain in the hole.

My fave software reverbs are - R66 , arts acoustic , princeton plate and room.

Got a bit bored of the Impulse Response thing have always had better results by tweaking traditional reverbs .Also never liked the waves stuff or tc stuff - too glassy

As for harware lexicon is a fairly safe bet , I like the old alex and reflex , there pretty limited but do the job have an Mx200 and its decent.

Also

HATE MUSIC, LOVE RACICISM

There not mutually exclusive!

My fave software reverbs are - R66 , arts acoustic , princeton plate and room.

Got a bit bored of the Impulse Response thing have always had better results by tweaking traditional reverbs .Also never liked the waves stuff or tc stuff - too glassy

As for harware lexicon is a fairly safe bet , I like the old alex and reflex , there pretty limited but do the job have an Mx200 and its decent.

Also

There not mutually exclusive!

if you're bored of impulse responses it's cause you a) don't know what you're doing b) not using correct impulse responses

or C) Am up to my tits in decent reverb all ready

I do think Irs are cool and all but I'm happy to just turn a few knobs to get my verb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back