Releasing an album (1 Viewer)

travispickle

Right Thumpeders,

I've an album recorded and mastered, just waiting on artwork to be finalised.
I'd like to get it out there sooner rather than later, and am thinking of lashing it up on Bandcamp to start with, and maybe, maybe doing a small run of CD's - though I'm still not totally sure if I need CD's or not (though personally I do like having a physical product).

I'd love to do vinyl but just can't afford it, so that's definitely out.

This is something I've just done for myself, so naturally there's zilch expectation with it; however, it would be nice to get it out there.

I'm setting up a band Facebook page to help get the word out.
It's a while since I did any record making/releasing so I'm a tad rusty on it.

So my question is - how about getting it reviewed or otherwise noticed?
Do you just aim it at journo's/mags/online sites/radio you know and like and ask them to review it or how do you's do it?
Would it be an idea to try to get some videos made?

I know there's a load of you here that have put out stuff so advice/experiences/pointers would be a great help.

I know @Pantone247 and @old might have some sage advice!
;)

Cheers!

I personally think lashing an album up on the internet for free does nobody any favours. Look, none of us expect to make any money off these ventures but just making it a giveaway gives the impression that you value it pretty lowly and nobody will give it the time of day. Press up a few copies. Send it around, to friends as well as industry types. Have a launch and get it into the shops. None of all that is particularly difficult and you'll have given it the little bit of a push I'm sure it deserves after the precious time, love and finances that went into it. Just my two cents.

With regards to getting it reviewed, try and have a proper press pack (photos, bio, links as well as a physical copy). Send it to everybody you can think of and follow up with the ones you would admire the most.

I personally think lashing an album up on the internet for free does nobody any favours. Look, none of us expect to make any money off these ventures but just making it a giveaway gives the impression that you value it pretty lowly and nobody will give it the time of day. Press up a few copies. Send it around, to friends as well as industry types. Have a launch and get it into the shops. None of all that is particularly difficult and you'll have given it the little bit of a push I'm sure it deserves after the precious time, love and finances that went into it. Just my two cents.
Cheers Hermie,
I wasn't specific in my post, but I wouldn't be giving it away free, I'd be charging for it on bandcamp. I probably will do a CD, the more I think about it, I'd like to have something physical and ask a few shops to take it.

Cheers Hermie,
I wasn't specific in my post, but I wouldn't be giving it away free, I'd be charging for it on bandcamp. I probably will do a CD, the more I think about it, I'd like to have something physical and ask a few shops to take it.
Ah I don't know why I picked up that you might be thinking along them lines. Good.

With regards to getting it reviewed, try and have a proper press pack (photos, bio, links as well as a physical copy). Send it to everybody you can think of and follow up with the ones you would admire the most.
Cool, that's the kind of thing I'm after. I just wasn't sure what way to approach the "marketing" of the thing, for want of a better expression. It's been a while!

Send it to the kool gang: Una Mullally/Jim Carroll/Nialler9.

If they like it, they'll virtually pat each others back. Then when you get famous, they'll be all "that time I saw travispickle" play to 10 people in the Bello bar or some such.

I can't see nialler9 being interested in a press pack, tbh. An email with a link to soundcloud/bandcamp and your fb page/website is what I'd expect him to expect.

Probably the same for those others. It's 2014, bitches

Also
- get it up on spotify as quick as you can. Streaming pays pennies, but pennies > nothing
- get the best songs onto youtube, even if the video is just a picture of the album cover ... youtube is the number 1 streaming site among teh kidz these days

I can't see nialler9 being interested in a press pack, tbh. An email with a link to soundcloud/bandcamp and your fb page/website is what I'd expect him to expect.

Probably the same for those others. It's 2014, bitches

Also
- get it up on spotify as quick as you can. Streaming pays pennies, but pennies > nothing
- get the best songs onto youtube, even if the video is just a picture of the album cover ... youtube is the number 1 streaming site among teh kidz these days
Nope.

A press pack is basically an email with all the info you need to write a review.

Ask @pete it's a pain in the hole sourcing info and images to write/post an album review. He'll tell you about it because I never source my own images for reviews which must really piss him off no end. ;)

You don't have to be super slick press pack wise just give some info about who was involved, how and when it was made, when it's out, how to get it, any links to youtube, bandcamp etc and some images to go along with the review, - album art photo of the performers etc.

To be fair I went through this process once, fired off 200 emails and received less than 20 reviews and 2 replies to let me know they'd reviewed it.

Best of luck.

And fuck spotify.

Nope.

A press pack is basically an email with all the info you need to write a review.

Ask @pete it's a pain in the hole sourcing info and images to write/post an album review. He'll tell you about it because I never source my own images for reviews which must really piss him

Why can't the cunts just listen to it and say what they think of it

Why can't the cunts just listen to it and say what they think of it
Because we get paid by the word so a little background is important filler :D

No seriously. A little background and info is important. No reviewer wants to bang on about how it's reminiscent of Lightning Bolt the production is Albiniesque and the backing vocals on track 5 sound like someone doing their best Thom Yorke impression only to find out it's the Lightning Bolt bass players side project it was recorded by Steve Albini and the backing vocals were by Thom Yorke.

By the way I'd give that album a decent review.

Nope.

Ask @pete it's a pain in the hole sourcing info and images to write/post an album review. He'll tell you about it because I never source my own images for reviews which must really piss him off no end. ;)

You don't have to be super slick press pack wise just give some info about who was involved, how and when it was made, when it's out, how to get it, any links to youtube, bandcamp etc and some images to go along with the review, - album art photo of the performers etc.

To be fair I went through this process once, fired off 200 emails and received less than 20 reviews and 2 replies to let me know they'd reviewed it.

Best of luck.

And fuck spotify.
Cheers folks. Yep I think I'll focus more on getting the cd done, setting up bandcamp, FB etc; Youtube is a good suss (thanks @egg_ )

Cheers folks. Yep I think I'll focus more on getting the cd done, setting up bandcamp, FB etc; Youtube is a good suss (thanks @egg_ )
You probably don't need to send CDs to reviewers.

Only get CDs if you're going to play gigs and if you are go as far as you can to play them. My old band sold more CD's at 4 gigs in Germany than 4 years in Ireland.

You probably don't need to send CDs to reviewers.

Only get CDs if you're going to play gigs and if you are go as far as you can to play them. My old band sold more CD's at 4 gigs in Germany than 4 years in Ireland.

Well, the other thing is; there won't be any gigs.
I would still like to do a small run of CD's, for sale on Bandcamp alongside a download - Good or bad idea?
I wouldn't be using them to send to reviewers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back