Red House Painters (1 Viewer)

Ruth Marie

I think they're quite enjoyable! I love Bad Boy Boogie - only Kozelek could inject it with such melancholy.

But has anyone heard "Ruth Marie" - the last song on "Rock'n'Roll Singer"? It's written from the perspective of a 90-something year old woman, in a retirement home.

Sweet Jesus, it's brilliant.

He was great (if unbelievably obnoxious) in HQ a few years ago.

Really? At the mean fiddler a while back, he seemed really nice and chatty. Wandered round the crowd afterwards, meeting people. Sorta disspelled the myth that he was a fragile soul about to leave this world any minute. Maybe the success doesn't suit him.

olympia

...but then the Olympia show was diddly.

I'm an awful nosey bazzie, but I'd love to get the inside track on his life story - sounds well bogey.

I've only ever seen one account of his life story, which was in the NME years ago and which seemed to be a little dubious to me. In a nutshell, he was addicted to hard drugs in his early teens and his mother was a 'lady of the night'. After much therapy, he got his act together and has been a tea-total recluse, living what they described as a monastic existence ever since. Mark Eitzel heard his demo and loved it and had it released as down colorful hill on 4AD.

I don't really believe all that, but it could be true that he had a rough childhood and is now on the straight and narrow.

a shuure lookish...

many churs on the info...

songs from a blue geetar sounds like the one for me... out of print hmmmm...

contains acoustic only vertion of have you forgotten you say

[homer noise]achchchchchch[/homer noise]

most rock thing ever

"_ Kozelek's insistence at doing things by his rules led him to battle 4AD's Watts-Russell over the guitar solo lengths on Songs for a Blue Guitar. This would eventually lose the Painters their contract and eventually land them at Island records."

so rock

yeah, there's a really long, rambling, neil young-esque guitar solo on a song called make like paper - Ivo watts russell told him to change it - he said no- they were dumped

I find most of the RHP guitar solos absolutely insufferable...in a totally un- rock and roll fashion I often find myself skipping them.

Although, I have never seen so many grown men cry like little girls as I did when they played the Mean Fiddler (I think it was 97/98). It was really lovely.

The 'Fiddler gig

I heard they attempted a really bogey cover of something (was it "Whiskey In The Jar?" or something). This true?

Also, I think that night dispelled the notion of him being a forlorn introvert (he asked everyone I know who was at the gig where he could score chicks etc).

Maybe I'm supressing bad childhood memories but I can't remember them covering Whiskey in the Jar, but I've just started sobbing uncontrollably and I don't know why. They must have done something wrong.

He *was* legging it round trying to score chicks, looking none too forlorn. He asked one of my girly friends (who was quite smitten by him) to buy drinks for him and two girls he was trying to chat up.... cheeky fuck.

Yeah - they started whiskey in the jar alright - peculiar is the only word for it.

I think Mark Kozalek has been a heavy influence on people like Dave Kitt and Gemma Hayes. I'm surprised that RHP are not name dropped on the Dublin acoustic scene as much as people like Will Oldham - to my ears they have influenced a lot of the softer sounding bands.

By the way, aoifed, have you heard the guitar solo on 'Katy's song'? Really, it's just lovely.

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro

By the way, aoifed, have you heard the guitar solo on 'Katy's song'? Really, it's just lovely. [/B]

Yeah, I do know it well and I don't dispute the fact that Kozelek (they are his solos aren't they?) is an incredible musician and all that. I just find the solos a little self- indulgent at times. Self indulgent guitar solos sprinkled with loveliness, that's what I hear.

THis is my Hundreth post. Hooray for me. Am I a senior member?
Is there a virtual toilet I can flush someone's head down?

Hey, you can buy "songs for a blue guitar" from play.com at 9.99 UK pounds and they're in stock for a 24h delivery (plus ten days in the postal system as usual).

Good call. That's a real nice solo, and I hate solos. Check it out, Eefed.

Also, if my memory serves, at the Fiddler back then not only did they play "Whiskey In The Jar" but they did "Boys Are Back In Town". Am I imagining that...? Then how come I find it so funny?

It was a pretty funny gig i other ways too, despite the fact of their music being so poyn yint. During the "la la la" bit at the end of "Katy's Song" Kozelek kept cracking up laughing and having to restart the whole section. It was infectiously funny. He clearly had more coke inside him than an army of American kids at fat camp induction day - but gas it was and no denying it.

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
Yeah - they started whiskey in the jar alright - peculiar is the only word for it.

I think Mark Kozalek has been a heavy influence on people like Dave Kitt and Gemma Hayes. I'm surprised that RHP are not name dropped on the Dublin acoustic scene as much as people like Will Oldham - to my ears they have influenced a lot of the softer sounding bands.

By the way, aoifed, have you heard the guitar solo on 'Katy's song'? Really, it's just lovely.

fiddler gig was SHITE. the olympia gig rocked.

he just came across as a coked up tosser laughing at his own songs at the shit-hole-mean-fiddler (as anne pointed out) and the sound was unbelievably shite.

i tried to talk to him afterwards and it was like trying to talk to a burnt out San Fan surfer who had just eaten 300 mushrooms...

funniest memory was when he was lighting some girls cigarette and her hair went on fire (a small steady blue/green flame crept up the side of her head) - but without alerting her (she was smashed) he placed his hand on the hairspray induced inferno and continued working the magic....

.|..|

Re: The 'Fiddler gig

Originally posted by madouva
I heard they attempted a really bogey cover of something (was it "Whiskey In The Jar?" or something). This true?

He played Whiskey in the Jar at a solo gig in San Francisco that I was at about 5 years ago. But that was because some other Irish people in the audience (not me) asked him to.

All I remember from the HQ gig a while back was his attractive little anecdote about picking up some girl last time he was in Ireland and she mistook the wardrobe in his hotel room for the bathroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back