Real Life Book Club (1 Viewer)

Okay peeps, so it's a no on tomorrow then I'm taking it? (Don't want yis to show up and me be in my pyjamas eating crisps.)
Should we just have a 'bumper' Christmas bookclub where we discuss our Christmas book and our Saramago too?

Mmmmm crisps.....
Thats probably a good idea though, I have to go to two weddings in fancy castles in the next few weeks and go to dumb work Christmas party so I'd be happy to wait till nearer Christmas and have a bumper one :)

Should we pick a book then? I really liked the idea of a 'festive' book, ideas anyone?

Blue Nile were amazing btw :heart:

i've been racking my brains and cant think of any. stupid brain. there must be some....

btw edel, spent the flight home from rome on monday reading your indo article over the shoulder of the guy beside me :)

i've been racking my brains and cant think of any. stupid brain. there must be some....

btw edel, spent the flight home from rome on monday reading your indo article over the shoulder of the guy beside me :)

Fuckin' Hell! Cheesy grins all round - my personal favourite was the caption that said, 'Edel gets to grips with the technology'. Er, no she doesn't. :)

may i make a suggestion?

John Grisham has turned a satirical eye on the overblown ritual of the festive season, and the result is Skipping Christmas, a modest but funny novel about the tyranny of December 25. Grisham's story revolves around a typical middle-aged American couple, Luther and Nora Krank.
An accountant, Luther estimates that "a year earlier, the Luther Krank family had spent $6,100 on Christmas", and had "precious little to show for it". Consequently, he makes an executive decision, telling his wife, friends and neighbours that "We won't do Christmas". Instead, Luther books a 10-day Caribbean cruise. All goes well until people get wind of the Kranks' subversive scheme. Everyone, from Christmas card salesmen to horrified neighbours, besieges the couple with questions. 'What about the Christmas party, carols and the erection of Frosty the Snowman?' Then, things start to turn nasty in the local neighborhood.

may i make a suggestion?

John Grisham has turned a satirical eye on the overblown ritual of the festive season, and the result is Skipping Christmas, a modest but funny novel about the tyranny of December 25. Grisham's story revolves around a typical middle-aged American couple, Luther and Nora Krank.
An accountant, Luther estimates that "a year earlier, the Luther Krank family had spent $6,100 on Christmas", and had "precious little to show for it". Consequently, he makes an executive decision, telling his wife, friends and neighbours that "We won't do Christmas". Instead, Luther books a 10-day Caribbean cruise. All goes well until people get wind of the Kranks' subversive scheme. Everyone, from Christmas card salesmen to horrified neighbours, besieges the couple with questions. 'What about the Christmas party, carols and the erection of Frosty the Snowman?' Then, things start to turn nasty in the local neighborhood.

Oh dear, when I first read 'the erection of Frosty the Snowman' I was like, 'er what? Is this a misplaced carrot issue?' but then I realised you meant the building of Frosty the Snowman, right? That aside, this sounds like a very good read and would certainly give plenty to discuss I imagine. I am up for it if others are? It is getting rather close to Christmas...

I always associate Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections with Christmas cos I read it over Christmas the year it came out. Depressed me no end. Obviously that would be a no-good Christmas choice. Does anyone know if he has anything coming out soon or is he wasting his best years writing fabulous pieces for the New Yorkers? (Is that a paradox?)

Does Cormac Battle sound more like Dave Fanning by the day?

wasn't this book made into a movie last year?
anyway i'm happy to read this one, it sounds interesting and will make a nice change from the hard going stuff i've been reading recently :)

we should also begin the impossible task of picking a date. wont be too easy to suit everyone at this crazy time...

ps a friend of mine has been raving about flaubert's sentimental education every time i see him, has anyone read it ? maybe we can consider it for a future book club?

you think i was tryna pervert the book club!? :)

I think it says more about me than you, to be honest Deafmute....all dates are good for me apart from this Saturday and Friday 15th <begin shameless plug> Medea playna gig <end shameless plug>. All other Fris/Sats good for me.

22nd and 23rd are no-gos for me - will be in Cork and Barcelona respectively...

Lucky lady...well, I'm reluctant to do a school night. My crimbo party is next Sat...might be a bit poor not to go to the new job christmas party. Could show a distinct lack of interest...okay, so looks like we might HAVE to do a school night.

i'm out of the country between the 23rd and the 30th, and in cork till probably jan 4th or so.

i am harping on about it because (a) i put a ton of research into the saramago book and (b) i'm moving back in with my parents at the end of january so this will be my last book club.

i'm out of the country between the 23rd and the 30th, and in cork till probably jan 4th or so.

i am harping on about it because (a) i put a ton of research into the saramago book and (b) i'm moving back in with my parents at the end of january so this will be my last book club.

oh no
your last book club
this is awful :rolleyes:

how about the 5th or 6th of january then?
bellatrix and lala, will you still be around then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back