Pub in Glenroe? (4 Viewers)

It was definitely called The Molly Malone.

Teasy - dead
Dinny - dead
Stephen Brennan - dead
Father Devereaux - dead...i'd say.

Not much chance of a reunion now let alone a blu ray box set.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The Brits treat their archive television programmes with far more reverence and respect than we do with ours.

Fansites / forums
DVD releases
Regular repeats on television

Glenroe - a soap that ran for 18 years and there's fuckall on the net about about it. RTE don't want to know.

edit - just saw Gambra's post. Yep.

Ah but hasnt there always been a huge demand for British tv? If no one ever wanted to watch re runs of Fools and Horses it could now be wiped like Bracken and Wanderly Wagon or whatever.

I remember reading that the BBC destroyed an entire Cliff Richard series from the late sixties.

How many people do you think would be interested in old episodes of The Riordans on dvd?

McDaid was Teasy's surname when she first moved to Glenroe. Remember her dodgy son, Rory McDaid?

But the pub was the Molly Malone and was renamed Teasy's when she took it over. It was at that point Stephen and Dinny got mad horns on them for her - both after a woman with a few bob. Dinny won of course. Stephen was an awful aul gobshite though so it wasn't much of a contest.

I have all the archive I need up in me ceann luaidh. I'd say I never missed an episode until the last season or 2 when it had really gone to shite altogether.

Good recollections there.
Rory was a wrong 'un,

Paddy Maher who was in it at the start now plays McAleer in Fair City. His sister ended up marrying Stephen's son Des (who underwent same character, different actor)

Ah but hasnt there always been a much greater public demand for British tv? If no one ever wanted to watch re runs of Fools and Horses it could now be wiped like Bracken and Wanderly Wagon or whatever.

I remember reading that the BBC destroyed an entire Cliff Richard series from the late sixties.

How many people do you think would be interested in old episodes of The Riordans on dvd?

The Riordans would have limited appeal. But I'd say Bracken might sell - it's short enough [12 x 50 min episodes] and has Gabriel Byrne. Pretty sure it hasn't been wiped as it got TG4 repeats in the late 90s.

Glenroe was shown on ITV.

You'll see www.networkdvd.co.uk and what they release. I know that Indoor League wasn't a big seller but it doesn't stop them releasing similarly arcane material.

Really like that film
Captures mid 1980s Ireland perfectly. Small town, emigration, hurling, exams, etc

the hurling scenes let it down a bit though. But yeah, it fairly accurately captured the nothingness that was 80's Ireland. Though I'm sure Fermoy/Mitchelstown might have had even less going for it than a lot of other places.

The Glenroe theme tune STILL makes me feel like I haven't got all my homework done

yeah, likewise. I was never so conflicted as when Glenroe was on. On one hand it was the highlight of my TV viewing week (yes, I was a pathetic youngster), on the other it was the end of the weekend which meant school/college the next day.

Remember Biddy's car crash? Possibly the most feeble effort at a stunt in TV history. Think I looked for it on YouTube once and couldn't find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back