Psych, foreign beats, soul grooves and general exotica thread (1 Viewer)

there was a Peter Thomas Sound Orchester tribute album released around 10 years ago called Warp Back To Earth.

http://www.discogs.com/release/294922

Worth a listen - esp the John McEntire and Stereolab.

Just discovered that the CD edition had an entire disc of original Peter Thomas stuff. Another shafting of vinyl purchasers!

Have to say some of the Lalo Schifrin stuff is at bit jazz hands for me with a bit of the token funk thrown in, never heard that score though so will check it out, looks interesting, isn't that the Lucas movie?
that last one looks right up my street though, wowch!

dug this up yesterday for a listen

B00005NBOF.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Puppet on a Chain - Piero Piccioni

his name translates as Peter Pigeon, which i always find amusing. Heard a mad story about him recently, during the 70's he was at this big orgy which was hosted by his cousin, a big time lawyer in Italy at the time, totally loaded. They murdered a woman at the party by drowning her, but they managed to get off, by lets say any means possible!! Italy was a tad corrupt at the time...was reported in his obituary in the Guardian about 2-3 years ago when he passed away. Killer sountrack though :p

Schifrin has a jazzy background alright.
76 now, playing at Barbican this month.

I like it though.
THX 1138 is the Lucas movie. Soundtrack only emerged last year in 3,000 pressing CD run.

His Dirty Harry and Magnum Force scores are ace. For vinyl a comp called Sudden Impact And The Best Of Dirty Harry has stood me well over the years. Full scores for both have come out on CD recently.

His Mission Impossible LP is pretty good too.

Puppet on a Chain looks good. Must investigate.

I've been reading japrocksampler lately and caning the inthepines downloads. I'm all about Love Life Plus One

Just got onto Speed Glue And Shinki. possibly too loose to be of USE!

That indian gig in Oxfam was very good and the accordian was used tastefully and sparngly. Though they went on for about an hour and half longer than planned.

Never got that excited by Erkin Koray. Most of the turkish psych seemed to be either too much like trad trukish music or too much like generic garage rock. The true fusions seem elusive but Bunalim may be the best one going.

Puppet on a Chain looks good. Must investigate.

also check out Colpo rovente, there is a double vinyl re-issue, the original being a single, also the re-issue has better tracks too.

heres some Polish rock

niem_cjn.gif

Czesław Niemen - Czas Jak Rzeka

definetley more on the side of prog but a great record, with lots of heavy drums :cool:
Picked mine up for less 10eu .

but while looking for an image there found this blog with what seems there entire catalog

http://ezhevika.blogspot.com/2007/01/czesaw-niemen.html

Just came across these Turkish psych mixes: http://www.undomondo.com/2008/04/baris-k/
Nice one !

There's a great series called "Love Peace and Poetry" issued by a German label throughout the 90's/Naughties that were great primers for exotic psych/beat - they were on splattery coloured vinyl also but are now more likely to be found on CD....and all of them with Cheryl Schrode doing her thing on the sleeve (there are volumes from Africa, Brazil, Japan, Latin america, USA, Turkey and Asia and some more maybe)

0000059576.jpg

zzlovepeacepoetryturk_101b.jpg

Also, I want to bring KALEIDOSCOPE into the picture - the US band from the 60's who fused pretty much everything - r'n'b, blues, country/bluegrass, psych, raga, drone, pop and folk and somehow made it all work (well, mostly...) - there's bound to be some stuff that's going to grate for some but if you already haven't, you should really try "Side Trips"...

kaleidoscop_sidetrips_101b.jpg

...and their second album, "A Beacon from Mars" is HERE should you wanna have a listen.

Today's haul.

No lie in; up at 7.30am to catch the bus to Dublin.

Recordspurchased19408001.jpg

Recordspurchased19408002.jpg

the above two lots (aside from the Geoff Love 7")
are a mixture of freebies and purchases from local celebrity emperor tomato ketchup aka "King Mixtape".

He left Honest To Goodness with a light record bag, I left with a heavy one [and a full stomach - ended up with two breakfasts there a couple of hours beforehand].

Underneath the Dudley Moore LP is Jerry Yester and Judy Henske's Rosebud. Follow up to Farewell Aldebaran and almost as good.

The Katja Ebstein LP comes with a very 'easy on the eye' pullout sleeve. You could tell that the other punters having their lunch were well impressed.

onto the chazzas and shops.

Recordspurchased19408003.jpg

The two Dory Previn LPs are interesting, appear to be first works from 1970 and 1972. Worth a punt at a fiver for the pair. Couple of standout tracks on both.
The Gale Garnett LP (her debut) was one I remember my uncle playing when I was a young lad. Initially the guy in Spindizzy uttered the dreaded words 'can't find the record' but after 15 minutes, sorted things out.
Better than I remembered.

Recordspurchased19408004.jpg

The Ray Charles LP is excellent, think it came right before the first Country sounds one.
Sleeveless is World Of Lulu volume 2. Surprisingly good nick.
The ubiquitous 'Easy Listening' double album was €4, last time I saw it was at a fair for a staggering €35. Ho Ho.
Martin Yorgantz sings Armenia Immortal. 1977 vintage. Not bad.
The Lula Cortes E Ze Ramalho is the Mr Bongo reissue, natch. Needle dropped it in the shop and was immediately impressed.

Recordspurchased19408005.jpg

Family's second LP, Family Entertainment. Liking this so far.
Tom Paxton 6 is beside James Last, probably my favourite LP of his. Another quality Elektra release.
The Big Folk is an enjoyable Fontana sampler. The Wally Whyton reminds me of my childhood while The Spinners do a great take on an old Israeli tune, Erev Shel Shoshanim.
Always liked the Trouble Man soundtrack so was glad to see it today.

If you like the Lula Cortes LP, worth a go of the private press one he made with Marconi Notaro the year before. S'good stuff. Reissued on Time Lag records.

notaro_marc_nosubrein_101b.jpg

been a while since this was dug up
here's someone i'm really into, Googoosh an Iranian legend

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

also if anybody is heading to Paris soon, White Noise and Arthur Brown are playing in the Le Bellevilloise as part of the Acid Test 40th year anniversary celebration of the May 68, artistic uprising or whatever you'd call it. sounds good though

Yeah have that mix too, its brilliant stuff, pull it out regular enough
not too sure what track 2 on side one is but track 3 on side one is Les Lutins and 2 on the 2nd side is Baris Manco, you'll probably find it with a bit of googling i'd say

Here's a mix I put together last month.

It's a big file as the mp3s are 320 kbps. Let me know if there are problems downloading it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z3131HU4

Tracklist

01 Mort Garson - I Know You Aquarius (A&M LP)
02 Don Reeve Sound - Aquarius / Let The Sunshine In (MFP LP)
03 Ray Davies And The Button Down Brass - Cops And Robbers (Philips LP)
04 Paul Brett And Sage - 3D Mona Lisa (Pye 45)
05 Cliff Richard And The Shadows - La Mer (Columbia 45)
06 Francois De Roubaix - Les Amis (Barclay LP)
07 Syd Dale - Theme From Screen Test (Trunk 45)
08 Henry Mancini - The Party (RCA LP)
09 Carol Grimes - Homemade Ruin (B&C 45)
10 Poppys - Noel 70 (Barclay 45)
11 Dusty Springfield - Sea And Sky (Windmill LP)
12 Jean Cousineau - Theme Numero Un (Dinamic LP)
13 Pat Williams - Eleanor Rigby (Verve LP)
14 The Mike Sammes Singers - Lightning Tree (MFP LP)
15 Mel Torme - Sunshine Superman (Capitol LP)
16 Nancy Ames - Michel (Epic LP)
17 Paul Mauriat Orchestra - Etude In The Form Of Rhythm And Blues (Philips LP)
18 James Last - Popcorn (Polydor LP)
19 Hot Butter - Telestar (Musicor LP)
20 Wally Whyton - Gentle On My Mind (Fontana LP)
21 Family - The Weaver's Answer (Reprise LP)
22 Peter Thomas Sound Orchestra - Gente (Polydor LP)
23 Harvey Andrews - Riding Free (Trunk LP)
24 Ennio Morricone - Il Grande Silenzio (Beat LP)
25 Gene Pitney - If I Only Had Time (Musicor LP)
26 Piggleswick Folk - Mrs Merry's Ball (Acorn LP)
27 Highly Likely - Whatever Happened To You (BBC LP)

000p5wza

Les Annees Pscychedeliques 1966 - 1972
great collection of tracks on this, with bonus beats tracks included aswell

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back