product placement (1 Viewer)

David Kronenbourg

Solutions
was just flicking around the box last night and i started watching i robot out of boredom. the product placement in that film is the most blatant i've ever seen. about as subtle as having an audi driven up your arse.

what do people think of product placment in movies? i think it's necessary to a certain extent as it adds a basic level of authenticity to the movie. when it's as bad as i robot it's fucking shameful.

It's funny, when I saw the thread title I thought of I Robot straight away. It was pretty sickening in that. Shite film as well mind you.

I don't watch a lot of telly or movies so I don't really notice the auld product placement that often. Slightly off topic, but also nasty. I was reading an article the other day about a popular pre-teen/teen girls book series (like a modern day Sweet Valley High) and there's apparantly the names of designer brands dropped several times on every page. It then turned out that one of the main product palcement companies for movies had something to do with the books, though they denied their involvement was on the product placement end of things. The author also denied that she was deliberately doing it or getting paid to do it.

Just had a google around for it. I can't find the actual article I read, but ther's lots of other stuff about similar book/evil company symbioses

Here's one about make up
http://www.commercialalert.org/news...-placement-deals-make-leap-from-film-to-books

I'm paid to post on this forum

paypal-logo.jpg

was just flicking around the box last night and i started watching i robot out of boredom. the product placement in that film is the most blatant i've ever seen. about as subtle as having an audi driven up your arse.

what do people think of product placment in movies? i think it's necessary to a certain extent as it adds a basic level of authenticity to the movie. when it's as bad as i robot it's fucking shameful.

I heard some lad a while back giving out about buying the I Robot shoes and complaining that they weren't exactly the same as the ones Will Smith had.

the new batman thing has lamborghini, nokia and some kind of motorbike.

product placement is one of my favourite things to get wound up about. who here owns 'KISS' merchandise?? or still has star wars toys that they think are cool?? thats not a mile from the kind of industry mechanisms that that get this kind of thing moving. theres some documentry i got off torrents about the freud family and thier general influence on western marketing and product placement.

I'm not sure Lamborghini would benefit too much from being in Batman, being as they've a limited number of cars made which they sell easily enough.

well yeah thats true for sure, sales definitley arent going to quarduple this quarter or anything down at the lambo car factory, but long term, how many kids wet dream is going to having a lamborghini for those occasions when the batmobile might seem rude, and dont lambo sell those boy racer puff jackets and shit, like dont they have a toy shop similar to kiss where the licence thier logo's?

i read a great book a few years ago on product placement and how certain aspects of scripts were edited to suit the brand. The case I remember most were how in the bond movies the cars that were chasing bond's cars often belonged to competitors and would always get mashed up and be too slow etc..

i read a great book a few years ago on product placement and how certain aspects of scripts were edited to suit the brand.

No Logo?

i became addicted to big macs for a year after mac and me. had to go to fat camp.

Speaking of Macs, it seems like every laptop I see in TV and movies have the shiny Apple logo stuck to them. Dell would want to get their act together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back