Police officer dies in Italian soccer riot (1 Viewer)

and with that, it was clear that Jane was the clear winner.

Janer, cop on.
I have to answer or cop on to anyone.

My views are my views, I could have easily said back to Janie Jones that she doesn't like people dying in wars but yet she is happy with abortion.......

Ur views have always being similar to hers so basically salt goes with ur view.

At present we have a slightly less biased media - but you are right... that will change.

Irish media is slightly less biased, yes, but the increasing number of 'news items' that are essentially advertorial for product launches is pretty icky. It's nowhere near what you get in the US, where the media is pretty much owned entirely by one of two companies, but it's getting there, and people are not actually doing very much to try to stop it.

My views are my views, I could have easily said back to Janie Jones that she doesn't like people dying in wars but yet she is happy with abortion.......

Yes, but JANER, I believe abortion shoudl be a right because a foetus is not a fully-formed human life, and that it is actually impossible to say when human life begins because it is not all down to the vagaries of science. And that being pro-choice means that I can respect those who believe it is wrong to abort a foetus, as long as they don't make my decisions for me. That's why my anti-death penalty and anti-war stances are not at odds with my stance on reproductive rights.

You, on the other hand, just assign yourself the authority to decide who lives and who dies in this world. So why is it that you're against abortion? Because if you believe anyone deserves to die in war, then you absolutely cannot make a 'value of human life' argument.

Here's a scenario: what if you knew that a foetus a woman was carrying was going to grow up to be an American soldier? Then would it be okay to abort them? Or should you wait 18 years until it can feel real fucking pain, and die in horrendous, torturous circumstances for your sick pleasure?

There's actually no way to compare like with like because American media is so much different from European media.

anchorman.jpg

but you didnt reiterate with your views; you resorted to your old method by making an unneccesary sexual comment.

and how have my views been similar to jane's? im sure there have been a few things i've disagreed with her on.
and if i do agree with her on certain things - so?

La La, I guess JANER judges the value of people's opinions based on how much they agree with me. The more you disagree with me, the more JANER will respect your opinion.

If only all of our politics could be so reactionary!

Fuck you, JANER.

And, to quote a great woman, "Shut up JANER."

Off out now but b4 I go let me say this once again

I celebrate when American soldiers die in Iraq/Afghanistan and any other country they have occupied, I celebrate because I think that adds more pressure on the White House when these casualty figures go up and this might make them retreat earlier then they had planned and will make them think twice b4 they attack other countries such as Iran and Syria.
Maybe I put it too bluntly but hey I never claimed to be a Shakespeare with words.

So what you're saying JANER, is that you think human life is expendable as long as it serves your political ends? Bit like your happy clapping at the spread of bird flu.

Doesn't that make you as bad as the Bushes and Blairs of this world?

I celebrate when American soldiers die in Iraq/Afghanistan and any other country they have occupied, I celebrate because I think that adds more pressure on the White House when these casualty figures go up and this might make them retreat earlier then they had planned and will make them think twice b4 they attack other countries such as Iran and Syria.
Maybe I put it too bluntly but hey I never claimed to be a Shakespeare with words.

I really don't think the us soldier body count will persaude the US to pull out any sooner or not attack other countries. Especially seeing as they are still sending more troops to Iraq even with the rising body count.

First, let me say this once again: FUCK YOU, JANER.

You think clinking Buckfast bottles with your equally ignorant mates every time an American soldier dies is akin to putting pressure on the White House? I wish I had your confidence, JANER. I wish I had such a fucking deluded sense of my importance in the world.

The reality is that if the White House gave a fuck about American lives, they wouldn't put them in harm's way in the first place. They don't give a shit. The reason most US senators and congresspeople don't want to reinstate the draft is because they already know that no one gives a fuck about the lives of the soldiers, and they don't want their own kids sent in. It's not out of any sense of justice, it's personal interest for most of them (though I'll give enough credit to assume it's not the motivation across the board because I'm not that cynical).

The way to really put pressure on the White House is to force them to see that each and every casualty of war is a human life, not to celebrate the deaths of people they didn't care about in the first place. The reality, though, is that they don't care about human life, so even if you reduce a warmonger to tears with a personal story, they will continue to wage war until you give them a good reason to stop. The only way they'll stop is if they get a good economic reason for doing so. If you want to put pressure on the White House, you beat them at their own fucking game, you don't cheer every time you get to put another tick on your perverted little wartime scorecard.

It's a good fucking thing they wouldn't pay any attention to the likes of you because celebrating the deaths of American soldiers basically just condones their sending in more troops to be slaughtered.

So what you're saying JANER, is that you think human life is expendable as long as it serves your political ends? Bit like your happy clapping at the spread of bird flu.

Doesn't that make you as bad as the Bushes and Blairs of this world?

Oh. lordy. This makes me REALLY wish I knew anything at all about Photoshop.

That's true...what's the point?

sorry, was in a rush to "the game".

you're right about blinkers but I see the same issue of entering a system more unimaginably complex and corrupt with politicians (and the policy makers i.e. the ones who acyually make shit happen) - i'm losing my ability to point fingers....

With a cop, you can always say they joined with the best of intentions and then got corrupted, but they were still entering into a system that clearly privileges the rich over the poor.

most people outside the anarcho-clique just don't see this. It doesn't factor in their decisions

That's true...what's the point?
The point is that if you ask the average person on the street "what do cops do", they won't answer "eh, they're there to protect the rich and their property and uphold the class system and keep the poor down" and so on, they'll say "they stop crime". That's how people view the police and that's probably how those who 99% of those who go into the force see it too, and probably a lot of them continue to see it that way throughout their careers. Might be naive of me to think that, but it's probably just as naive as the idea that all cops do is protect property and wealth. If two randomers are beating the shit out of a woman on the street and the cops intervene, whos property and wealth is being protected then?

In this day and age in Ireland, it is possible for someone to improve on the situation they were born into. Education is available freely to everyone.

this just isn't true. all sociological studies investigating this have found that social mobility is extremely rare even in modern capitalist societies- just because you may know a few individual cases of people moving up the social ladder doesnt mean it is something anyone can do. So sorry to burst your bubble but all research with regards to this refutes you- where you come from, your economic background etc. are likely to influence greatly the route your life takes.

jus' sayin'

Property - assuming this means 'a place to live'. Plenty of this is owned by the non-rich who have worked / earned to right to buy it.

Police - far from being an ideal system but what do you suggest as an alternative?

btw - Being non-poor does not guarantee freedom from police harassment.
Take two situations:
- An underprivileged area is under siege from joyriders.
- An anti-globalisation march is taking place in the city centre.

Which group are the police more likely to harass and beat the crap out of? The answer is 'the group who are less likely to fight back'.

Janer, dude, what's goinjg on? You say that life is so sacred to you that you are vegetarian and anti-abortion. You say that lives lost in war are functional. I don't quite get where your boundaries lie.

Squiggle- education is freely available to everyone, just very very different standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back