PG Wodehouse (2 Viewers)

I can't decide who my favourite minor character is. Some favourites are
Bobbie Wickham - trouble
Stiffy Byng - Ditto (but maybe a kinder heart)
Madeline Bassett - Drippy. Everytime an angel cries blah blah
Stinker Pinker- Lovable fool

So many more. His aunts too. Classic

Anyway, I can't understand why Wodehouse isn't taken seriously as a great writer and is just a "humourist". He's written around 100 books, and the 30 odd I've read have nearly all been excellent. Is it any less an achievment to write a great funny book rather than a great serious book? If so, why is PG Wodehouse streets ahead of everyone else I've read?

And a useful man to know if you would like a policeman's helmet.

Oh man. I knew someone who robbed a cop jacket from the local cop shop, as in she went in, chatted with the lad, and left with the jacket.
Like, she was known to the guards. So, they realise what happened, and barrel over to her gaff. Now, she is in the gaff, and I think she chucked said jacket out the window, into the neighbours garden. The cops are sprinting about the shop searching for the jacket, so distracted, that they didnt even notice the drugs floating about.
Cops leave gaff, sans Jacket. They go off, and retrieve it from the shrubbery next door.
I think, *I think* they took the jacket off to holland, and sat around wearing it getting stoned, and took photos, cut out the faces, and sent them back to the local guard station.

Stuff of Legend. I bet Maynooth isnt half as mental as it was 10 years ago. UCD me arse. Maynooth was where it was at back then.
Right Billy?
Whats happened to us now man.

Anyway, I can't understand why Wodehouse isn't taken seriously as a great writer and is just a "humourist". He's written around 100 books, and the 30 odd I've read have nearly all been excellent. Is it any less an achievment to write a great funny book rather than a great serious book? If so, why is PG Wodehouse streets ahead of everyone else I've read?

I am in full agreement with you on this. The quality of his writing is superb. The comic timing and the build up is superb. Although it is impossible to read without laughing out loud it is never "painful" or too predictable. The characters are well developed and the situations also.

Some of the less well known books he wrote, that I have read, are also very good. There is one called "Laughing Gas" set in Hollywood society. Very funny.

Another author who fell into the same "humourist" category/trap was Jerome K Jerome. If you haven't read Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel. Brilliantly written as well as extremely humourous.

Another author who fell into the same "humourist" category/trap was Jerome K Jerome. If you haven't read Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel. Brilliantly written as well as extremely humourous.

Three Men in a Boat is one of the funniest books I've read.
Couldn't recommend it enough.

Also the Reginald Perrin books by David Nobbs. funny stuff.

Must track down Bummel.
David Nobbs books are less like J&W and JKJ in content but in style and humor are right up there.Also David Lodge (who I read accidently while looking for a David Nobbs book)-he's funny.

Oh and on a different note but comedy writing gold is Garrison Keillor- His Lake Wobegon books are all sitting on my bookshelf,well thumbed.

Must look out for that. Cheers

Three Men in a Boat is one of the funniest books I've read.
Couldn't recommend it enough.

Also the Reginald Perrin books by David Nobbs. funny stuff.

I love the Reginald Perrin omnibus. Great stuff. Another example of great books being dramatised very well.

Has anyone read "Ring for Jeeves"? As far as I know it's the only Jeeves book not told from Bertie's perspective. I liked it, but I don't think it was one of his best ones.

I don't think I have read it. I will have to look out for it.

Have you read "Laughing Gas"? It's very interesting... his usual comedy gold... but all hinging on a completely fanstastic 'laughing gas personality switch' dentist incident.

I must read it again.

I took your advice and bought three men in a boat. Nearly finished it, cracking read. It's so funny. Thanks Squiggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back