Hitpiece, NFTs, and other music on the blockchain nonsense (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 1
I sold all mine a while ago
I do reckon if you follow the phony hype from chain to chain with great attention you can probably slowly make some decent money, but i'm not willing to put the effort in following every reddit hype chasing the big boys.

If John Terry is for it then I'm agin' it.

How does the fact that JT has had to change the image associated with his personal NFT avatar because the PL and UEFA sent the lawyers in impact the NFT concept? The "artwork" is supposed to be unique but you can apparently change it.

Right or building giant sculptures out of precious metals dug from the ground

Here's one in Galway, been there since 1984 - requires no input since 1984 to make it visible to either the owner or the public, so it's consumption footprint would be a division of the initial carbon investment.

In 38 years it's gotta have millions and millions of views from every concievable angle and requires no input for that to be possible. it's probably good for another 20 or so. I'm not sure there is a webhosting company in existence that hasn't changed hands once in 20 years. I have music files on 15 year old machines that i need to keep the machines alive to access because file types are redundant outside old software. like unless it's an .txt file it's pretty much open game to be evolved out of existence.bmp. Myspace was yeeted pretty much overnight. Where are my livejournal essays. I could own nft's for them and have literally no way to access them in 15 years.

TLDR If we are talking about art in terms of sculpture the dependency is the user having sight or touch to experience, once you enter the digital realm you are assuming electricity, file hosting, software and interface are all ever present to bring it to the realm of being experiencable, which they are not. Adding a bit of math that requires further software to interpret further distances it from being usable in the long term.

Attachments

• Galway-Hooker-Monument-Galway-Visit-Galway.jpg
    Galway-Hooker-Monument-Galway-Visit-Galway.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 2
Here's one in Galway, been there since 1984 - requires no input since 1984 to make it visible to either the owner or the public, so it's consumption footprint would be a division of the initial carbon investment.

In 38 years it's gotta have millions and millions of views from every concievable angle and requires no input for that to be possible. it's probably good for another 20 or so. I'm not sure there is a webhosting company in existence that hasn't changed hands once in 20 years. I have music files on 15 year old machines that i need to keep the machines alive to access because file types are redundant outside old software. like unless it's an .txt file it's pretty much open game to be evolved out of existence.bmp. Myspace was yeeted pretty much overnight. Where are my livejournal essays. I could own nft's for them and have literally no way to access them in 15 years.

TLDR If we are talking about art in terms of sculpture the dependency is the user having sight or touch to experience, once you enter the digital realm you are assuming electricity, file hosting, software and interface are all ever present to bring it to the realm of being experiencable, which they are not. Adding a bit of math that requires further software to interpret further distances it from being usable in the long term.
Yes but consider paying money to see it in the metaverse. This money can be used to fund local councils and build a better environment for everyone*

*this argument will actually be used to defund public services and privatize public art

The artist id in that hitpiece link in the Mary Wallopers tweet is just the Mary Wallopers' Spotify artist id (7aLfd5azGVKmim6H38mZk2)

See
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I expect someone just wrote a bot to mint NFTs linked to Spotify artist account urls. Uurgh.

Nope. Many NFTs are minted on more sustainable blockchains like Polygon, Cardano, Solana which use proof of stake and a fraction of the computing power of proof of work blockchains like Ethereum. That said Ethereum is the largest blockchain after Bitcoin and Ethereum is undergoing a transition from proof or work to proof of stake.

most “sustainable” chains are just sidechains of ethereum

as for ethereum “undergoing a transition” to proof of stake... lol

it’s been successfully avoiding this transition for about seven years now

apart from that, I wonder if the NFT craze has actually meaningfully altered the center of gravity of all the grifting in the world. your local small-time corrupt official or minor criminal can probably get a better return on investment doing crypto-scamming than they can fencing stolen phones or whatever. (as long as they know what they’re doing, which a lot of them don’t)

also I do actually reckon that there is still the possibility that some tiny corner of crypto nonsense will actually end up being useful in some way, but jesus christ it’s mostly an ocean of bullshit right now

most “sustainable” chains are just sidechains of ethereum

as for ethereum “undergoing a transition” to proof of stake... lol

it’s been successfully avoiding this transition for about seven years now
Which ones like? Solana, Cardano, Vechain, ICP, Cosmos are not. Polkadot, Luna, Avalanche. They’re not either. I could go on…

Last edited:
The artist id in that hitpiece link in the Mary Wallopers tweet is just the Mary Wallopers' Spotify artist id (7aLfd5azGVKmim6H38mZk2)

See

I expect someone just wrote a bot to mint NFTs linked to Spotify artist account urls. Uurgh.

Yes, it's digital trading cards.

Blockchain became the whipping boy for environmental concerns due to bitcoin, and rightly so, bitcoin is a monster, but most smart devs launching third generation blockchains went for the proof of stake model

Which ones like? Solana, Cardano, Vechain, ICP, Cosmos are not. Polkadot, Luna, Avalanche. They’re not either.

I dunno man, here’s a bunch:

the point is that starting your own blockchain platform from scratch is hard work for nerds, but starting your own token is easy if you just leech off ethereum or one of the other big players. so for every “real” new blockchain platform, there’s a hundred crypto-bro sidechain-based pump-and-dump scams. and even if a new platform launches, there’s no guarantee that anyone will actually use it. so even the talmudic types who actually make these things out of non-scammy motivations also mostly fail.

all of which relates to the larger point, which is that, while I’m sure you personally are a wonderful fellow and your lady is wonderful too, the larger world of crypto is almost entirely fucking awful, both in how it actually works right now, but, more importantly, how it is managing a weird sort of hijacking of the cultural imagination, dreaming of a shitty future where everyone is a landlord or a hustler or a mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back