pc virtual memory conundrum (1 Viewer)

Rogue

Website
Visit site
I reckon this is a longshot but mebbe some of youse can shed some light on this...

This is a decent laptop, 2 years old and never had a problem. Over the last week i've had 4 instances of 'virtual memory low' error messages, never happened before.

I've run norton, spybot, ewido, ad-aware with no results. I've uninstalled all the progs i never really use and checked all my running processes but no obvious trojans or malware.

I've been keeping an eye on the task manager and as the day goes on the page file steadily increases from c.250mb to over a gig. Closing progs slows it a little but the trend is still up and up - is this 'memory leakage'?

any ideas...

The only recent changes are that i installed a wireless pcmia card a week or two ago but only use it about once a week, it's not even in the port most days.

virtual memory has to do mainly with the amount of processes running on your machine, i would check to see how much stuff it opened at startup. How myuch ram do you ram and what os you running?

go to control panel - system - advanced tab - perfomance settings - advanced - virtual memory change.

set the initial to around 600mb and the max to 2000mb.

Cheers.

running winxp, pentium-m 1.4ghz, 512mb ram.

I removed quite a few startup programs but there's still 49 processes runnning at the moment, most of them are backround jobs like printer drivers and antivirus.

processes.jpg

Lefty Frizzell said:
go to control panel - system - advanced tab - perfomance settings - advanced - virtual memory change.

set the initial to around 600mb and the max to 2000mb.

ta.

Initial was already at 768 but max was 900, increased it to 2000.

That'll fix my immediate issue but it doesn't explain the continuing rise, it's like terminated processes aren't giving up all the ram/page-file they had been using, greedy pricks!

yeah Wav is right, Bit Rot.
Something probably is leaking memory, if you have a look at any of the running processes after the machine's been running for 10 hours or so, do you notice anything sucking vast amounts of memory, say >300mb ?

[QUOTE = wavioli]download the XP tweakguide from here [/QUOTE]

Genius! ta.
http://www.tweakguides.com/
[QUOTE = iCUH8N]if you have a look at any of the running processes after the machine's been running for 10 hours or so, do you notice anything sucking vast amounts of memory, say >300mb ?[/QUOTE]

I'de be a happy chappy to see that, at least i'd know what app was at fault, ta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back