Pay-To-Play Gigs: The Artists’ Perspective (1 Viewer)

Alex said:
Also, if you bother to read the interview, you'll find that there's no negative comment whatsoever about the bands here and their music.

"And, honestly, how many ‘normal’ people can listen to The Jimmy Cake for more than 15 minutes?"

I'd say this pretty negative

what is a "normal" person anyway?

Alex said:
Darren said he doesn't like it and would like to hear more rock... so fucking what? Is this a crime?!?

"For some reason though, there aren't many new bands playing rock – they're all into this alternative or retro shit"

Its not the more rock I had an issue with, btw has he heard Holy Ghost Fathers or Large Mound? Its the dergotory use of the word "alternative" and calling it shit that bothered me.

Alex said:
You are the hypocrite because when I was asking people to be nice on this board (and don't say other bands are shit) you wrecked my head with your everybody-has-the-right-to-an-opinion bullshit. And now you blame me coz I expressed mine
Prick.

Where did I blame you for expressing an opinion? At no point did I say you are wrong for saying what you said. It is after all your opinion.

I'm really shocked how you've flown off at me Alex, I simply posted exactly what you said. I just think that its funny that this is an attitude you hold on "alternative" music and the people who make it (y'know all the people trying to be "cool") considering how much time you spend posting here and that you've played the likes of the Ballroom of Romance.

Also the whole "cool" thing is such a load of 12 year old paranoid school yard bullshit, its not worth commenting on. Oh boo hoo, I'm not cool, oh boo hoo now I am.

Sorry to upset you by quoting your own interview Alex,
wasn't my intention at all

xx

P247

Ian said:
I wonder when Morello will have their 15 mins with normal people...

This thread was fabulous. Thanks everybody. The same arguements get recycled like Soap scripts. Is it cool to be wierd? Is digestable standard rock music dull, dead, but popular with the masses? If you like experimenting with your music while still being a bit mainstream does it make you a sell out? Things are never that black and white in music, they're more shades of grey. I'd be more worried if the music sounded lazy, stereotyped and formulaic rather than wierd. Experimenting brings change. Change is good. But never sacrifice communication with the audience in all your wierd experimenting or you've lost before you've begun. Like all Art, there's a fine line. And there's scenes. Human nature. Its all fun.

I don't mind selling out a little if it means I can get more money to record, learn new instrumentents and buy an oxygen tank, own a monkey, drive a convertable in Cannes, with the monkey in the passenger seat. Ha ha ha.....monkey are so cool. See yiz soon kidz. (that z makes me cool)

.|..| :p

..I'm still laughing at the line "people should make more accessible music"..sounds like my dad! why should people do anything? does there have to be uniformity of style anywhere?? why have genres at all?? what if you want to do something that hasn't been done before??(almost impossible to do but it's nice to see what comes out along the way) ..but then anything that isn't a three chord trick and hasn't got a solo in it is "abnormal". Spahead. We all know what a music nazi you are mr alex. Don't try and pretend other wise.

Originally Posted by Alex
You are the hypocrite because when I was asking people to be nice on this board (and don't say other bands are shit) you wrecked my head with your everybody-has-the-right-to-an-opinion bullshit. And now you blame me coz I expressed mine
Prick.

oh also, the thing about expressing an opinion on a discussion board is people can discuss that opinion and express a different opinion.

Bad mouthing a band in an interview "And, honestly, how many ‘normal’ people can listen to The Jimmy Cake for more than 15 minutes?" where no one can make any sort of response is a very different thing.

My main feelings on this our...

a) I spend too much time on this board

b) If the Jimmy Cake, or any of the "cool" "alternative' bands, were interviewed would they slag Morello or indeed any "rock" bands? Look at the series of interviews in the Tribune has anyone used it as a spring board to attack fellow musicians? No.

c) I so should not have Brie for breakfast, my guts aren't up to its creamy goodness at this hour of the morning

I love you all

xx

P247

Rimbaud said:
You`ve all made yourselves look like a group of squabbling children! :p
...and plus I'm being controversial which means I'm cool... I hit the jackpot!! :)

However, I have already explained what I meant with that comment about the Jimmy Cake but probably someone was to busy jumping down my throat to read my posts...

Alex said:
I didn't want to offend anybody (Jimmy Cake included) and, if I did, I apologise.
The point I wanted to make is that their music is not for everybody but just for the ones who are deep into indie and, unfortunately, they aren't enough to support the whole scene, that's it. This doesn't mean they're good or bad and, of course, you're free to disagree.
Alex said:
There's a misunderstanding here... and maybe more than one :)

When I said "normal" I didn't mean that who listens to alt stuff is weird, not at all! I meant not-indie people, those who like good music but listen to more conventional stuff. Also, the weird=cool does not apply to all indie bands: I'm positive there's bands who play this sort of music because they love it
Now, there's no point to keep arguing like kids... we're all grown men and there's enough elements here for everybody to draw their conclusions: some will think I'm an ass-hole and some that the ones who attacked me for my opinions are just like a bunch of squabbling children, that's it.

I was asked my opinion about the Irish music scene and I just said what I think, I'm sorry if I hurt somebody's feelings.

Peace and Love

:) Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back