Paris in August - Reccomendations? (1 Viewer)

Rock en Seine at the end of the month is always fun, I go most years. It's also a lot less expensive than most other festivals.

I'm probably going to spell these wrong but: Pere Le Chaise Cemetary, The Louvre, Orangerie Museum and Rodin Museum. You could spend the good part of a day in The Louvre, the rest maybe an hour or two. If you get a museum card, you should be able to beat the queues, very handy for The Louvre.

I like the feel of it in general, its way more laid back and chilled out than other festivals and there's always someone I want to see. You don't have to commit to the whole weekend, you can stay in paris and come and go as you like which is a great pull. Camping, blergh.

PLUSODDFUTURE.

Don't bother booking accommodation in advance. Simply head for any respectable neighbourhood and kick in the door of the first fancy apartment you come across that's a bit whiffy - granny will be dead on the floor of the box room and the rest of them won't be back til Sept 1st. Everyone's a winner, job's oxo.

I second the suggestions above.

The dome of Sacre Coeur is worth a visit, much cheaper than the Eiffel Tower, no queuing for hours and you get an amazing view of Paris.

If you do want to go to the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre or any of the other main sites it is definitely worth pre-booking or buying the tickets online, you can avoid queuing that way.

I also liked the Luxembourg Gardens for a bit of relaxation in the sun (or the shade if you prefer). Full of benches and seats to sit on and chill.

I think Versailles is well worth a trip too, it can be very packed and busy but it's very impressive.

Don't bother booking accommodation in advance. Simply head for any respectable neighbourhood and kick in the door of the first fancy apartment you come across that's a bit whiffy - granny will be dead on the floor of the box room and the rest of them won't be back til Sept 1st. Everyone's a winner, job's oxo.

Genius post

Jonah said:
I like the feel of it in general, its way more laid back and chilled out than other festivals and there's always someone I want to see. You don't have to commit to the whole weekend, you can stay in paris and come and go as you like which is a great pull. Camping, blergh.

= win

Jonah said:
PLUSODDFUTURE.
= meh

I heard Versailles is great too, now I'm kinda annoyed I didn't go and see it when I was there. Have to go back to Paris some time anyway though, didn't do enough stuff!

Hey thanks all, this is great stuff. I was wondering if Versailles was worth it, but I'll take the tip...

Try to give it a day to itself, if you can spare that much time. If you want to visit the Trianons and see the gardens properly you'll need the extra time.

PereLecheese is the business. And the catacombs. Best day spent with dead people ever.

if you go to perelecheese, get the map at the entrance. Otherwise you'll get lost in there. With the dead people.

Also, go to Montparnasse and go to the cafes and try and talk to chicks. If you think the chicks here are stuck up you'll soon revise that opinion fairly lively.

Go to the Champs Elysees but only cos thats where the tour de france finishes. Otherwise its bollox down there and too touristy.

heading over this weekend for the ireland france game. basically have one full day there to prick around. haven't been there before. considering its just the one day, wanna have a decent gander at a bit of the city rather than strolling around a museum for a few hours and such. thats for another trip some time. any recommendations for areas worth killing a few hours? Based in Bastille area for the weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back