Pacific Ocean Blue (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter AMC
  • Start date
  • Replies 62
  • Views 5K
  • Watchers 2
AMC said:
That other thread on The Kinks got me thinking about this. Does anyone out there actually own an original copy of this on vinyl or cd? If so, did ye pay a packet for it?
I saw one in Virgin around 1989.
Went to the ATM to get money, when I came back it was gone:mad:

Have a high quality CDR of it from the Bamboo project team

see this thread
http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=5594&page=2&pp=20&highlight=bamboo

You can probably still buy the CD in Japan - why the Japanese get all this stuff is something I will never understand:rolleyes:

nlgbbbblth said:
I saw one in Virgin around 1989.
Went to the ATM to get money, when I came back it was gone:mad:

Have a high quality CDR of it from the Bamboo project team

see this thread
http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=5594&page=2&pp=20&highlight=bamboo

You can probably still buy the CD in Japan - why the Japanese get all this stuff is something I will never understand:rolleyes:

I got it on vinyl on ebay for $25. Also have the dan addington stuff. Talked to him on the phone a few times, really nice guy

usually, it comes down to territorial copyright

best example is the lost plush album.
he spent an absolute fortune recording the album in electrical audio, and ran the label into such debt on the project that they couldn't afford to release it. however, the labels, i think it was drag city, contract didn't cover japan, so he was able to have the lp released there, but not anywhere else.

actually, thats not a very good example at all 8)

when we signed with our japanese label we had to agree to supply bonus songs. seems japanese market gets flooded with cheap american imports and they need extra tracks as an incentive for the locals to buy the more expensive domestic product. most indie bands seem to have japanese versions of their albums with loadsa extra tracks on them.

dudley said:
best example is the lost plush album.
he spent an absolute fortune recording the album in electrical audio, and ran the label into such debt on the project that they couldn't afford to release it. however, the labels, i think it was drag city, contract didn't cover japan, so he was able to have the lp released there, but not anywhere else.
Yer man from Plush has a cameo appearance on High Fidelity.

dudley said:
most indie bands seem to have japanese versions of their albums with loadsa extra tracks on them.

like neds atomic dustbin, they had zillions of japanses imports

in the mid 90's all the japanese stuff would imported back here and sell for 30 or 40 quid for an album you already had and some bonus tracks that we're more often then not duff album session rejects.

What bonus tracks did the Dudder Corpper put on?

FUCKING SWEET!!

Since this thread was posted first time around I now own two copies of the gatefold. One (in ok condition) I paid about $50 for, the other I managed to get in a lot on ebay for about $8. It was thrown in with a few other BB live albums. Cool thing was, the copy I got in the lot was in pristine condition. Jammy find to say the least!

Sounds promising. got this from a messageboard written by Jon Stebbins (Dennis Wilson book guy)

"I don't know the exact track listing that Sony will settle on, but i do know there are more than 10 tracks available and freshly mixed and ready to go...that have NEVER been booted...that's right. 10 to 12 DW tracks that even the hardest core fans on this board have not heard...and I'm tellin' ya this is great, great stuff. Plus all of POB meticulously remastered and sounding better than ever, and all the Bambu tracks that have been booted, but with fresh mixes by John Hanlon, and in perfect quality. Let's just hope the process keeps rolling to the finish line."

Great news. Hope it's mastered nicely.

I listened to a mate's original Caribou CD a while ago and the sound quality is ace.

Cool news indeed. about time too. It's not a great album though in fairness...Excepting one or two numbers, the songs aren't as strong as the ones he did with Beach Boys.

You think...Id probably just about prefer the stuff he did with the beach boys 1969 - 73 era myself but i'm a big fan of POB.

Im not so sure about Bambu though. Some of the songs ive heard off that i dont think are much good but it will be interesting to hear the new mixes

Cool news indeed. about time too. It's not a great album though in fairness...Excepting one or two numbers, the songs aren't as strong as the ones he did with Beach Boys.

I would prefer the BB stuff alright; some great songs - Be with me (probably the pinnacle), Lady, Be still etc...
River Song from POB is fantastic, but rest of the album is quite weak, i think.
Have some of the Bamboo stuff too, but none of it really grabbed me.

The tunes for Bamboo are not as good as POB.

Those 'high quality CDRs' I alluded to in my 2004 post = hmmm.

POB still plays I think but Bamboo doesn't anymore. The third one I bought was a compilation of solo Dennis [featuring tracks from BB albums plus his own] - flew well together. That doesn't play either.

If I burn copies of the CDR, would the copies play?

The tunes for Bamboo are not as good as POB.

Those 'high quality CDRs' I alluded to in my 2004 post = hmmm.

POB still plays I think but Bamboo doesn't anymore. The third one I bought was a compilation of solo Dennis [featuring tracks from BB albums plus his own] - flew well together. That doesn't play either.

If I burn copies of the CDR, would the copies play?
I got those CDR's too. Dennis comp was 'Dreamer' - still play em both. That crowd were gas. Wanted me to mail them all sorts of info about Ireland!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back