Oul Ladspeak (3 Viewers)

sorry egg!
my other half is continuely surprised by all the sayings my family have..he's never heard any of them and doesnt know whether or not to laugh when my mum drops one into conversation:)

My nana says that one. She also has mad words like balk. A balk is like a trick or dissapointment, like say she'd get up to do something and the dog would get excited because she thought they were going for a walk and nana would say "aww, she got a balk"
a balk in baseball is when the pitcher fakes a pitch - not when he fakes for a splitsecond and turns for a throw to 1st or whatever, but when he makes a throwing motion towards the batter w/o releasing the ball...i don't know why i felt the need to share that.

if i ever say 'oh i thought...' my mam always says 'see were thought got ya..ya pissed in the bed and thought you were sweating'
my grandmother always used to say "you know what thought did? well, he though he shit himself...and he was right!" - makes no sense to me.

also, whenever somebody asked where "x" was - "he/she went to shit and the crows got him/her"...a classic, i'm sure you'll agree.

My mother says

"there you are now and the train gone to Ballybrophy".

or

"Six O clock and not a child in the house
washed".

Also:

"Charlie Hawkeye".

Ha.

Don't mean to hog the thread but this is pretty good.

My girlfriend's mother told me that when she was younger she thought the word "ambush" described the terrain in some way, like "inlet" or "hollow" or "crossroads" might. The older people used the word in this way when giving directions or arranging a meeting place.

"Head shhtray hon over de bridge and turden left at d'ambush".

They were referring to locations where the IRA had ambushed British soldiers back in the day.

I'm not sure if these are gems from the English midlands or just my dad's weird sayings.
When I was little, if I ever said 'Where's mummy gone?' my dad would inevitably say 'She's run off with a black man'.

deadly, my old man used to say 'She's run off with some lad on the back of his motorbike'.

jaysiz this threads still goin wha?

the girlfriend told me about a woman she used to work with who referred to refuse bags as refuge bags, hehe.
heh.
he.
h.

I'm not sure if these are gems from the English midlands or just my dad's weird sayings.
When I was little, if I ever said 'Where's mummy gone?' my dad would inevitably say 'She's run off with a black man'.

He's also say 'It's black over Bill's mother's' if it looked like rain. He didn't know anyone called Bill.

My mum never ran off with a black man, by the way.

My dad used to say that too,everytime he would go out and we would ask where he was going he would say "out with a black woman". I always wondered why my mam didnt mind.

My ma calls people who are annoying her (usually the dog getting under her feet) a "hoor's ghost". Get away from me ya hoor's ghost, she'd say

She calls weird looking people "eye-fiddles" too. Jaysus, that fella's a bit of an eye-fiddle in't he? (Ryan Tubridy is a prime example)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back