Osama Bin Laden is dead apparently. (1 Viewer)

The raid occurred in a span of 38 minutes early Monday morning, following CIA reports of repeated sightings of a tall man doing "prison yard walks" around the yard of the housing compound in Abbottabad, which was under constant surveillance, this official said. U.S. authorities never definitely determined beforehand that this man was in fact bin Laden, but they eventually concluded that there was enough evidence to go through with the operation.

The first man killed in the mission -- which this official said was code-named "Operation Neptune Spear" -- was the Kuwaiti courier who had worked for bin Laden. He was shot dead after a brief gunfight in a guesthouse. From that point on, it's believed no other shots were fired at the U.S. forces, the official said.

The troops then moved into the compound's main three-story building, where they shot and killed the courier's brother. As they moved upstairs and around barricades, one of bin Laden's sons rushed at them and was subsequently killed, according to this latest account. Neither of these men had weapons either on them or nearby, this official said.

The U.S. official said that the team then entered the third-floor room where bin Laden was, along with his Yemeni wife and several young children. The al Qaeda leader was moving, possibly toward one of the weapons that were in the room, when he was shot, first in the chest and then in the head. He never had a gun in hand but, like the other men, still posed an imminent threat, according to the official.

Afterward, one SEAL laid down beside the dead bin Laden to measure his height and further determine that he, in fact, was the man who for years has ranked atop the FBI's "Most Wanted Terrorists" list.

Interesting inclusion of that last detail there - I'm sure they didn't foresee a need to ID him after the fact and just neglected to bring a measuring tape or a bit of twine or something. If the photos leak, no way was it someone posing with the corpse for a trophy photo at all.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/05/bin.laden.main/index.html

All this hullablloo today about how he was shot, personally I don't think it matters that he was unarmed.
They dropped bombs on Gaddafi the other day and no one really gave a shit. OBL is easily as bad an actor on the world stage as Muammar.
He's not just responsible for killing office workers at their desks in the towers, but commuters on a bus in London and those on trains in Spain, tourists having a jar in Bali, revellers at a wedding in Jordan. I mean fuck, the list goes on and on.
An evil man with a bloodlust to slaughter innocents. Good riddance.

I can say this without fear because no one posts on Thumped anymore.
not only that, i'm pretty sure he left the seat up in the jacks in my house the other day

what a fucking bastard.

Interesting inclusion of that last detail there - I'm sure they didn't foresee a need to ID him after the fact and just neglected to bring a measuring tape or a bit of twine or something. If the photos leak, no way was it someone posing with the corpse for a trophy photo at all.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/05/bin.laden.main/index.html

In the White House Situation Room on Sunday night, the president and his national security team watched a soundless video feed of the raid.

When bin Laden’s corpse was laid out, one of the Navy SEALs was asked to stretch out next to it to compare heights. The SEAL was 6 feet tall. The body was several inches taller.

After the information was relayed to Obama, he turned to his advisers and said: “We donated a $60 million helicopter to this operation. Could we not afford to buy a tape measure?”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...d-to-the-pacer/2011/05/06/AFnSVaCG_story.html

I had a think about this and decided that you can hate bin Laden and still be against covert executions.

I'm of the opinion that most people that are questioning the legality of his killing are generally against whatever the US do in foreign policy, which is fine. I'm just taking this as a stand-alone special case.
They've done a good thing here, they've rid the world of an unspeakably evil man.
Arresting him would have meant a rake of new kidnappings of westerners to bargain for his release.

I'm against covert executions too, but I genuinely believe that this is a special case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back