• Replies 32
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 3

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Say you have an album recorded and are trying to decide what order to put the songs in. Do you put them in order of how good you think they are (cos no-one will ever listen to the whole thing anyway) or in an order you think makes musical sense?

egg_ said:
Say you have an album recorded and are trying to decide what order to put the songs in. Do you put them in order of how good you think they are (cos no-one will ever listen to the whole thing anyway) or in an order you think makes musical sense?
the latter. though it's always good to have something reasonably fab/attention-grabbing at the start.

the sign of a truly great record is when the best songs are in the second half... course, you could have a record that is amazing all the way through...

Latex lizzie said:
tell a story kinda way is best methinks.

I concur. If there is alot of diversity in style, tempo etc, try to ease one into the other. Though sometimes having a total change without warning is a good effect.

Also try listening to them on random play for a while.

egg_ said:

I've noticed records now start with 4 great tunes, then utter muck for the middle and then end strongly, the idea being everyone will think it's great cause it starts strong and ends strong. It's amusing how well this theroy fits on many of yr modern 'Rock' Records.

I think if you feel some songs are stronger then others, then you should really go back and work on them lesser songs...

:cool: :) :cool:

Unclealo said:
Though sometimes having a total change without warning is a good effect
Heh, well I hope so, seeing as it's the number one trick in the Book of Stoat
Been listening on random play and have come up with something but John reckons we should just put the stuff in order of goodness. Pretty hard to tie a ragbag of songs like these together, seeing as they were written over an eleven year timespan

Alphabetical order?

Most albums should start off with a fanfare.

And include an epilogue - like they did in The Streets of San Francisco.

egg_ said:
Heh, well I hope so, seeing as it's the number one trick in the Book of Stoat
Been listening on random play and have come up with something but John reckons we should just put the stuff in order of goodness. Pretty hard to tie a ragbag of songs like these together, seeing as they were written over an eleven year timespan

eleven years?? and I thought we were bad. :D

Cormac - could you post up the list of songs and we'll all have a go of ordering it (for the songs we know anyway).

My initial thoughts:

Oh happy Day first
The ship wrecked song second
boys and girls
acunamanacana
Gilette man (the 3 exhausting songs)
Piano song as a breather (worte this to woo you, if you're putting that on)
I wish I was stoned last

...what else is on it?

Personally I would start off with a cracker.....and end with a cracker

But rather than dumping the weaker tracks in the middle, disperse them with the best of the rest.

Bear in mind that you want them to listen from start to finish, I would tend to not have many weaker tracks together so that strong tracks following them will compensate

There is no harm in lending the album to someone whos musical opinion you trust, sometimes they might approach things a little different than yourselves and suggest a track listing to you

If you want it to be an upbeat album:

SELECT tracks
FROM stoat_album
ORDER BY tracks ASC

And a downbeat album:
SELECT tracks
FROM stoat_album
ORDER BY tracks DESC

Heheh
Sure thing Ro - lots of the songs you mentioned though aren't on it ...

Here's the list (in the order I think is best):
Central Bank
Saltee Tango
Nobody in Heaven
Rivethead
Resistolero
Periscope Down
Shit on the Mirror
Capital
Acunamanacana
Fat Pig
Oh Happy Day
Folk Song

Some of these you might not know - Central Bank is a very old one in new clothes, lots of guitar, drums dropping in and out, kind of talked vocal and a melodic piano bit near the end; Saltee Tango is the shipwreck song; Shit on the Mirror is another kind of seafaring one, but a bit weirder; Folk Song is an actual folk-song type song written by John (with acoustic guitars and the like)
Need suggestions fast, mastering is starting today ...

egg_ said:
Heheh
Sure thing Ro - lots of the songs you mentioned though aren't on it ...

Here's the list (in the order I think is best):
Central Bank
Saltee Tango
Nobody in Heaven
Rivethead
Resistolero
Periscope Down
Shit on the Mirror
Capital
Acunamanacana
Fat Pig
Oh Happy Day
Folk Song

Some of these you might not know - Central Bank is a very old one in new clothes, lots of guitar, drums dropping in and out, kind of talked vocal and a melodic piano bit near the end; Saltee Tango is the shipwreck song; Shit on the Mirror is another kind of seafaring one, but a bit weirder; Folk Song is an actual folk-song type song written by John (with acoustic guitars and the like)
Need suggestions fast, mastering is starting today ...

Soory, Corm, too many known unknowns. Start with O'Happy day and Saltee Tango, and then some of the fast ones....emm.....emmmm....I dunno what else....

Best song first, second best song second, third best song last. Mix-up the rest so they flow nicely. Not too many similar tempo songs in a row and if there's any mediocre tracks (which there shouldn't be of course) put them after a much stronger track. I always like albums that finish with a nice downbeat song for some reason.

random things:
personally i think the catchy stuff should be near the start - the more immidiate ones - and the deeper ones, the ones that either aren't as happy near the end.
i also think the song with the best ending should be last.

album tracklistings are complicated indeed.

another thing is to put a song you think is the biggest grower, or the least immediate, directly after the most. people who listen to that one will then more often than not listen to some of the next track, thereby connecting the songs.

also, songs that end suddenly souldn't be beside songs that start slowly.

soooo~
does this help?

1950's said:
I always like albums that finish with a nice downbeat song for some reason.

Me too..!

Like the way Low end one of their LPs with their tiny little song "The Dark"

There are many things to be afraid of
Like Ghosts and Death and Climbing too high.
There are many things to be afraid of
But don't be afraid of the Dark...
----------------------------------------

I reckon "Oh Happy Day" to start.
The 2nd track should begin with drums

Whats the one where John tells a wee story at the end of the track and its different each time you play it live...? That would make a good 2nd last track, followed by a low key effort if you have any!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back