Order of songs (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 32
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 3
There was a huge 4-page discussion on this in Tapeop a while back. The most insightful response was from yer man Fletcher (_egg knows who I mean). He said :

"Unfortunately none of this will make any difference to my daughter, who has her CD-changer set permanently to Random".

theres not really any right way of doing it, i think.

for the first corpo record we tried to sequence things in key, to ease the changes between songs, makes it quite sprightly i hope.

always best to put the most attention grabbing/ interesting song first, especially if you want it to be picked up for promo of any sort.

my fave records are definitely ones that follow some kind of mood, rather than just a collection of deadly songs. putting them into a complimentary order can also improve what you think of a song hugely too.

um

GrRrrrR said:
"Unfortunately none of this will make any difference to my daughter, who has her CD-changer set permanently to Random".

Well with the advent of Emm Pee Trees, one can argue that it makes bugger all difference, that folk will simply be buying the one or two tracks they like on i-tunes.

My CD player is broken, so I only have a turn table now, and it's been bloody deadly, so many old albums make so much sense in two halves. Instead of a long wandering chunk of 'stuff' in the middle you have a start, middle, end... then a whole new beginging again...

Or if yer Pavement on wowee zowee you have 3 sides to spread stuff over, that album is so less a struggle in smaller chunks. Amazing how being asked to simply getting off yer arse and flip a record, makes you feel "I've done my bit, now this side better be bloody good"

No skipping thru the tracks you'd normally skip either.

lmd64 said:
most fun way of choosing the track order is to set up a dartboard, with the song titles pinned to different parts of the board.

this explains why my next ep is going to be called "180!!! The Best of Bullseye."

do a rock paper sisiors league of track names.

There are certain tracks that always have the feel of natural openers and closers... aside from this the method I use for putting together compilations etc is making sure the end of one song and the beginning of the next feel right together. Just listen to every combination of the final few seconds of one track moving into the start of the next one and find the ones that feel like they fit.

to give your audience a false sense of hope and a feeling of anxiety, start with the longest one, then the second longest etc. and finish with the shortest.

egg_ said:
That always sounds like an "ending" song to me ...

Yeah, I guess it would work either way!

The way Oh Happy Day starts would make a nice opening track
The way it ends is perfect for a closer.
Its jubilant vibes make it a good contender for a closer too.

Hmmm, might agree with you afterall. :)

Thing is, radio and all that lark tend to pick up on opening tracks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back