Official World Cup 2010 Thread (3 Viewers)

I was actually just looking at World Cup betting there and for Italy, Spain, France, England, Germany, Holland, Argentina and Brazil all to qualify from their respective groups is just over evens, surely that's worth a good chunk of change or will France / Argentina's wacky managers ruin it all for me????

somebody is bound to cock it up. france maybe... italy might be fucked, but probably not. germany's squad is okay, apart from up front, where the usual suspects haven't been scoring goals. somebody is gonna choke though, it always happens. bet ya it is argentina.... don't be mental, diego, just pick the best 11 and get the ball down.

anyone know what the argie squad is... he can't bring 150 players.

Beginning to have my doubts about Spain now, due to injuries mostly. Xavi carrying knocks, Cesc, Iniesta, Torres unlikely to be fully fit due to long periods out.

I've been banging this drum for quite some time. As it turns out they are carrying quite a few actual injuries to those mentioned above, but the fact of it is, they are going to be knackered as a result of playing football uninterupted for about 3 season. Combine that with a really tricky draw (paired with the Grupo Del Muerte for second round) and the fact that their style of play will be countered by the shocking state the pitches will probably be in (judging by the ACON and Confed Cup) - all these things are mounting against them - plus throw in the Swiss into their group, there's a bunch of cunts who will ruin a world cup for you.

And also no European team has ever won outside Europe. and Xabi Alonso doesn't like the sound of vuvuzelas... it all adds up to a Brazil victory, another of my oft beaten drums.

I'm really looking forward to getting a wall chart going and start doing a big game by game prediction fest. I made loads of money gambling on the last World Cup (especially when accessing the internet from a bar) - I hope the same thing comes off this time.

Also looking forward to copious Zonal Marking articles about tactics in tedious group games. Roll on the Worduld Cup.

The likelihood is that Spain will be missing some but not all of Xavi, Fabregas, Fernando Torres, Iniesta and Senna. I think they're strong enough to cope with say 2 or 3 of those missing and still have a strong shout of winning the tournament. Handy group helps too for easing themselves in, getting replacements bedded in.
Torres the biggest potential loss as the alternatives (Llorente? Bojan?) are pretty good rather than really excellent.
David Villa up front on his own if Torres is out?

Brazil still my favourites as they have a good manager, a good overall squad, the best defence and a winning mentality.

Spain did win Euro 2008 playing one up front after Villa's injury.
They do need Senna back though, Busquets is hardly a convincing replacement, although he should be good enough to see them through the group phase.

Villa was the star of the show at the Euros I think a lot of folk forget that. Senna and Alonso would be big losses there's always a chance that a big physical team (think classic Germany) can over run them in midfield, like USA in the confeds.

David Villa up front on his own if Torres is out?

One up front worked pretty well for them when it was Torres rather than Villa for the latter part of the Euro semi and the final as it allowed them play Silva/Iniesta/Cesc/Xavi. Villa's a better player than Torres anyway so I'd have no worries on that score.

Who do Spain have to replace Senna if he doesn't make it?

Villa was the star of the show at the Euros I think a lot of folk forget that. Senna and Alonso would be big losses there's always a chance that a big physical team (think classic Germany) can over run them in midfield, like USA in the confeds.

He was the star but it was Fernando what got the most important goal. I'm not sure if Senna is still in the first choice Spain team? He seems to have had a pretty quiet season with an underperforming Villarreal - I would have assumed that with Alonso back playing in Spain and for Real he might be in the driving seat.

If Nando is out, I would imagine that Spain would play Villa as the sole out-and-out forward and try to complement him with anyone of a bevvy of attacking midfielders - probably Silva and Mata considering they work together at Valencia, but also Pablo (also Valencia), Pedro (goal machine from Barca), Iniesta (if fit) or Fabregas in the hole (if fit). Fucking embarrassment of riches!

Don't reckon ze German's would do for Spain... probably someone else Latin that will get inside their head and fuck with them. Cristiano to have his revenge on the Barcelona boize in the second round?

By the way his hot pants on the cover of Vanity Fair - what the fuck is that about!?

He was the star but it was Fernando what got the most important goal.

Villa scored shit loads though and for me offered more to the team. Torres hasn't had a great season and every goal is equally important when you think about it well apart from goals number 4-8 in a total whitewash. still I see your point.

If Nando is out, I would imagine that Spain would play Villa as the sole out-and-out forward and try to complement him with anyone of a bevvy of attacking midfielders
And then they come up against some Inter Milan clone and get found wanting.

Don't reckon ze German's would do for Spain... probably someone else Latin that will get inside their head and fuck with them. Cristiano to have his revenge on the Barcelona boize in the second round?

Spain Portugal would be amazing but are they in the right half of the draw for this to happen ? I need a world cup wall chart. I meant "Classic Germany" but then "the current lot aren't up to it" gets said about them every time and then they end up in the final I have said this more than once and been proved totally wrong.

If Senna is out Alonso will take over, I'm sure of it. They won't let Senna's style dictate his replacement, I think they are versatile enough to get along without an out and out enforcer, considering they will have the ball 75% of the time anyway. Alonso is tougher than people think also.

If Spain do get stuck up against an Inter clone needing a goal, they could do worse than sticking Pique up front. He caused havoc against Inter both times at the end of matches and took his goal at Camp Nou exquisitely. Should probably have scored in San Siro also if had had a little more impulsiveness and not tried to get a good connection on the ball.

Personally, I'd love to see Torres make a complete fool of that cunt Luisao in the final after scoring a wonder goal then celebrating write in the cunts face. I'd like that. Don't see it happening though, ol' Nando needs a summer off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back