nurses and midwives work to rule. what do you think? (1 Viewer)

Yeah, sorry,
They do work hard, they are great but I think they're reasonably well looked after by their Unions.

Also, it kind of pisses me off that they weren't complaining about their wages til they heard what other, 'less qualified' nurses were getting.

Also, it kind of pisses me off that they weren't complaining about their wages til they heard what other, 'less qualified' nurses were getting.

that's usually when all employees start complaining about their wages, though

I reckon if rampz was any kind of man he would work for free.

Capitalist scumbag, taking cheaper car insurance, the cheek of the man.

More money and lesss hours! if they picked one i may have more sympathy for them but only in a state paid job can you ask for this and not get laughed at and fired. Yes they should be paid more but it always seems as if we are being held to ransom (not just by the nurses, bus drivers etc) but to ask for a shorter week as well is laughable. Surely when they decided to become a nurse they actually looked at the industry and its hours/pay structure etc. Isnt the overtime quite good for nurses ? if it is then fair enough take a shorter week but no overtime!

If you ask me, Governments will never pay nurses/teachers/doctors enough simply because these professions have a strong vocational element to them.
Doctors?

You being serious Bill? Doctors get paid a lot. Their working conditions are terrible in hospitals (unless they're consultants) but they ain't stuck for a few quid, that's for sure

Teachers get paid decently too, AFAIK. My brother is a primary teacher and gets paid around what I was getting (as a programmer) at his age. My ma is a vice principal and I think she's getting over 60 grand, which is more than I ever expect to get paid. Plus she'll get half her salary when she retires in a few years time.

When comparing public and private sector jobs, there's a tendency to compare maximum pay levels, which is kinda misleading. Not everyone in the private sector gets paid what someone working in the financial sector in London might

Eh... yeah. Point taken about doctors. Still... I think they deserve their salary due to the importance of the work they do.

Not sure what the situation is with teachers in Ireland. I do know in the UK they're criminally overworked and underpaid.
A good mate of my girlfriend is a head of a department in a school. She works from 7.30 in the morning until 7/8 at night. And she's on about the same salary as a programmer with five years experience.
As far as I know, it's £21K a year starting for teachers in the UK (that's the maximum amount). Rises to about £35K to £45K after about ten/fifteen years on the job (depending on what responsibilities you take on). For what they do, that's just stupidly small.

And I think you'll earn 60K a year egg_.

Doctors?

You being serious Bill? Doctors get paid a lot. Their working conditions are terrible in hospitals (unless they're consultants) but they ain't stuck for a few quid, that's for sure

Teachers get paid decently too, AFAIK. My brother is a primary teacher and gets paid around what I was getting (as a programmer) at his age. My ma is a vice principal and I think she's getting over 60 grand, which is more than I ever expect to get paid. Plus she'll get half her salary when she retires in a few years time.

When comparing public and private sector jobs, there's a tendency to compare maximum pay levels, which is kinda misleading. Not everyone in the private sector gets paid what someone working in the financial sector in London might

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back