New York Fuckin' City Maaaaan (1 Viewer)

I'm heading there in March, where should i go to buy vinyl? Greenwich village? Any other cool recommendations? I'm not arsed reading the whole thread.

two ones that stick in my mind are a1 records and rock it scientist. both around east village. google will sort you out. a1 great selection of of new and second hand. caters for most types of music. rock it scientists had some great old psychedelic and krautrock stuff. along with a bunch more. cant go too far wrong there

enjoy

i went to the amoeba in the haight years ago - thought i'd died and gone to heaven. convinced i would have married the dude behind the counter on the spot if he'd asked me too, oly!

jaysus lala, you're not getting the nicest weather here on your trip. At least its warmed up to minus 4 today. Still. Yucky enough.

i dont mind the cold (plus i just spent a month in toronto - i can handle it) :p

anyway, there's no chance of the flights being that cheap in the later spring/summer/autumn when it's nice to go, gnome sane?

all i need is to bring a few cameras and get a cupcake from the magnolia bakery and a few records and i'll be happy.

(rather be in the rain and cold in NYC than in Dublin for a week)

i had a look at the bike this morning, and had a look at the minus double digits on the thermometer... and said nah. You're grand thanks. I was in Norway for the winter... I was in the Andes for months, I've been cold places, but jesus NYC winters just feel freezing to me.

actually a saw a lad on the subway doing your david bowie avatar balls thing.
Sort of an Indian elder wise big beard long hair guy, reeking of incense.

Flying away with the balls on the subway. Steel ones though, not glass. I kept on getting transfixed by them, and then realising I was staring slack jawed at the guy like a chimp looking at a particle accelerator, and quickly look away and act cool for a second.

Well, that was fun. A bit cold though, 8 inches of snow in one day and -14C with windchill. The coldest day of the season, and the schools had a snow day for the first time in 5 years. It was nice to look at though.

Ellis Island was also pretty great. I found my Great-Grandfather on the computers by complete chance, I'd forgotten that he'd gone to the States for a while. And yeah, maybe that is a bit cheesy, but it was also extraordinarily overwhelming. Seriously.

Do: Go to Chinatown, go to the Museum of Natural History, take the Staten Island Ferry, go to the pet store near Stonewalls in West Village, eat lots of bagels and pretzels, stand outside pubs and watch New Yorkers shout at each other. Also, dress for the windchill temperature, not the actual temperature.
Dont: Go to a comedy club, be late for your flight, turn around abruptly or stare at people at Penn Station ("I don't fuckin' like you, I don't fuckin' like you, I don't fuckin' like you.")

Also, apart from crazies at bus stations, New York didn't feel like a particularly dangerous place. People aren't usually rude, but they are very direct. You've a much better chance of feeling intimidated in Dublin. From what little I've seen anyways....

We were there a few weeks ago and stayed in the Gansevoort in the Meatpacking district, whupped the ass off the last time we were there and stayed in tourist-centraal off 5th avenue. Currently gagging to go back.

Can anybody reccomend what the best/cheapest way to travel from JFK to Manhatten? Is a taxi too dear?

Thanks guys. Yeah i'll prob go for a taxi as he can drop us to the hotel door. Steep though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back