New York Fuckin' City Maaaaan (2 Viewers)

Goodbye

Headin' to New York soon.
Never been there.
Feel like I know it what with all the books/movies/art/music I'm obsessed with.
Lookin' forward to it.

Please share experiances/reccomendations/dos/donts/whatever

thanks
Ian

I stayed in a homeless shelter/brothel in Hell's Kitchen. It was a nice place. The strip joint opposite had "All you can eat, all day, buffet lunch" for $8.99.

Booked into the Hotel where the murder in Manhattan Murder Mystery took place. I'm such a geek.
Don't think I'd be eating at a strip joint somehow...

There is the nicest asian vegan resteraunt in williamsburg on bedford avenue around 7th, go there! it's the nicest nicest food I have ever had. amazing sizzling seitan, even the salad dressing was delicious.
The quare fella thought the toilets were so nice he stayed there for a good 15 minutes...and then wanted to go back to have a last look before we left them.

go to yaffa cafe st marks pl. this 24 hour cafe/restaraunt. the decor is deadly, the food is pretty nice, the thrill of getting a lovely pasta dish at 4 am!

french roast another 24 hour. i think it's 6 and 12th

the chelsea art museum was cool, loads of modern stuff, we got to ride around in teacups that had speakers downloading lovesongs from the internet... weird but cool.

if you wanna get a touristy view of manhattan, cheesy but definitely worth it. go to the top of the rockefeller centre, we went in the eve about 8 there were no queues at all and the view just gets you all giggly.

apparently the empire state get 2 hour queues.

There's a place in brooklyn called barcade a bar with loads of old arcade games for a quarter a go, everything from pacman to mario bros, and space invaders and loads of other stuff.

check out

as far as shows, events, openings, parties and those type of things:
http://fusicology.com/
http://beta.flavorpill.net/
http://www.ohmyrockness.com/
http://www.villagevoice.com/
http://www.thelmagazine.com/
http://www.freewilliamsburg.com walk across the brooklyn bridge that was one of my favourite things we had a really cold sunny day, could see the (surprisingly small) statue of lib in the distance.

you're going to have a deadly time! check out the cinema in chelsea on 23rd between 7th and 8th, they have a weekly cheesy movie which is introduced by a comedien drag queen which was quite entertaining, we went on our last night when we didn't want to stay up too late.

so there.

Get the subway to Brooklyn, go for awesome pizza in Grimaldis (cash only!), when you leave, roll downhill to your right to the ice cream factory for dessert. then head back up to the brooklyn bridge for the walk across. When you're back across, head straight towards city hall (on people with a.i.d.s. plaza) then head left towards the J&R shops, which are right around the corner from Century 21 (for woman -type bargain shopping) and the WTC site.

Booked into the Hotel where the murder in Manhattan Murder Mystery took place. I'm such a geek.
Don't think I'd be eating at a strip joint somehow...

Don't know if its your bag, Ian, but if you feel like taking a chance on a museum, I recommend the Natural History Museum on Central Park West. Check out the Rose Centre For Earth And Space next door.
Mindblowing!

http://amnh.org/rose/?src=h_p

then head back up to the brooklyn bridge for the walk across.

Definitely walk across the Broklyn bridge, at least one way. The Staten Island Ferry is a nice - inexpensive (read free) way to see the statue of liberty and experience some sea air. Manhattan is a great place to just walk around observing and taking photos. Central Park is great.

Take a bus to Jersey, it's worth it, just for the contrast. Avoid shopping, unless you're looking for something in particular... you can shop at home!

i walked across the brooklyn bridge today. and cos i kept seeing all these amazing views over my shoulder, i turned around and walked straight back again. at one point you can see the statue of liberty, the empire state building and the chrysler building all at the same time.. i have a soft spot for the chrysler building.
also i saw the wtc site and got teary.
have spent ridiculous amounts on books and wool.

Take a bus to Jersey, it's worth it, just for the contrast. Avoid shopping, unless you're looking for something in particular... you can shop at home!

I don't like where you're going with this there Squiggle. Parts of The Jerz are grand. Like the bits right beside NYC. Where you can see the cops tear down 110th street from your gaff. Those bits.

Right? That's what you were going to say, right?

And dont mind Billy's grumblings. He was just outraged at the price of hookers and coke.

If you are around The Village tomorrow, I'll buy you a coffee.

Don't know if its your bag, Ian, but if you feel like taking a chance on a museum, I recommend the Natural History Museum on Central Park West. Check out the Rose Centre For Earth And Space next door.
Mindblowing!

http://amnh.org/rose/?src=h_p

Hay, just because I don't eat dead animals, dose'nt mean I dont like to see their carcases in staged various flattering poses!
Side's is'nt that where Holden saw the grafitti in Catcher In The Rye? (Or was that the school? He was a little obsessed about an indian woman there... must re-read that)
Deffo be going there...

Cheers for all the help/advice guys... Makes me wonder will 7 days be enough to take it all in?!?

What annoys me is that there dose'nt seem to be any giude books for Brooklyn, Queens etc... All I've seen are just for Manhattan...
Like are Cony Island or Brighton Beach worth visiting?

Hay, just because I don't eat dead animals, dose'nt mean I dont like to see their carcases in staged various flattering poses!
Side's is'nt that where Holden saw the grafitti in Catcher In The Rye? (Or was that the school? He was a little obsessed about an indian woman there... must re-read that)
Deffo be going there...

Cheers for all the help/advice guys... Makes me wonder will 7 days be enough to take it all in?!?

What annoys me is that there dose'nt seem to be any giude books for Brooklyn, Queens etc... All I've seen are just for Manhattan...
Like are Cony Island or Brighton Beach worth visiting?

I wouldn't bother with the stuff outside Manhattan if you're just going for a week.

The Natural History Museum is indeed where Caulfield sees the "Fuck You" graffiti and Sacagawea was the Indian tracker girl he was obsessed with, I think.

Coney Island is good but kind of depressing at this time of year.

Coney Island is good but kind of depressing at this time of year.

I like it at this time of the year. I actually prefer it now.
Its like walking about an abandoned film set. It's aching for moody photos to be taken of it.
Take a walk around the Meat Packing district, and South Street Seaport too. All the cobbled streets and smells, and little weird shops and galleries.
Its the new Greenwich Village over there.

I like it at this time of the year. I actually prefer it now.
Its like walking about an abandoned film set. It's aching for moody photos to be taken of it.
Take a walk around the Meat Packing district, and South Street Seaport too. All the cobbled streets and smells, and little weird shops and galleries.
Its the new Greenwich Village over there.

Actually, for photography, it's a gold mine. I just thought that if you were expecting some kind of funfair excitement, you would be very disappointed.

here i want to see some american countryside. is there anywhere within say an hour's train journey that's nice?
it's raining today.

i'm heading over in the summer for about a week. myself and the brother are hoping to try and follow the route of 'the warriors', all the way form the baseball furies to the van cortland rangers.|..|

here i want to see some american countryside. is there anywhere within say an hour's train journey that's nice?
it's raining today.

You can take a train ride up the hudson, towards upstate.
Go down to Penn station, and buy a ticket there. Ask them, I forget what is at the end of that line, Canada I suppose, but there is a line that follows the hudson right up to Bear mountain, into the Appalachians and all that.
Poxy weather alright today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back