new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (1 Viewer)

just realised im doing a bit of a liverpool in the thumped fantasy football. in second, 35 points off top.
let my heart get the better of me over last few weeks and wouldn't captain any city players
any of you saddos around the top?

ah yeah. glad its over though.

having to rely on the likes of everton, villa and west ham towards the end was an awful pain in the hole

I'd have taken it and laughed had you told me this would be the outcome at the start of the season. But the way we had it in hand and then lost it is so hard to take. Small moments, but also an exposure of our weak points at the crucial seconds. But I mainly feel for Gerrard. I hope he wins a league title someday but it'll probably happen for liverpool the season after he finally retires. If he doesn't this is tragic stuff.

On the other hand I feel so grateful to BR and happy as a norn Irishman he has done so well and won so much praise after being unfairly ridiculed last year. Those who paid attention knew something special was possible but no one could have expected some of the football seen this season.

Next year we won't have the advantage of surprise, we'll have to unpick bus parking etc more regularly, and we'll need at least 6 players - new signings or improved existing players - to come into the system with less time to train for each game. I think Rodgers
can become a legend at lfc and he'll have taken a lot from this season, as will the younger players, but it'll be harder work next year. Anyway. Ynwa

I can't feel bad for a man responsible for Istanbul.
He's had a stellar career.

You can't win the league by a miracle. It's the biggest trophy in football, no question. Istanbul just isn't comparable.

He's been the axis of a club steeped in history of winning titles for over 12 years, and has had to compete with Arsenal and Uniteds' dominance and then two oil oligarch clubs buying titles. He had a chance to go to one - I've heard from a lawyer involved he'd actually signed and only then changed his mind - and although united and now city fans like to sing about that, fact is it shows how much LFC means to him. He chose loyalty and struggle over money and pre-paid glory, and has dragged the team forward so many times only to see it fall just short of winning - eg no one to back up Torres in 09 leading to some mundane draws.

That's my view, anyway, but it's why his career has come to symbolise so much of the last decade of the club's history. And for him to have been the man to slip against fucking Chelsea, sitting back like their wanker manager told them to in order to avoid a massacre against the best LFC team in 24 years ... That's epic tragedy.

You can't win the league by a miracle. It's the biggest trophy in football, no question. Istanbul just isn't comparable.

He's been the axis of a club steeped in history of winning titles for over 12 years, and has had to compete with Arsenal and Uniteds' dominance and then two oil oligarch clubs buying titles. He had a chance to go to one - I've heard from a lawyer involved he'd actually signed and only then changed his mind - and although united and now city fans like to sing about that, fact is it shows how much LFC means to him. He chose loyalty and struggle over money and pre-paid glory, and has dragged the team forward so many times only to see it fall just short of winning - eg no one to back up Torres in 09 leading to some mundane draws.

That's my view, anyway, but it's why his career has come to symbolise so much of the last decade of the club's history. And for him to have been the man to slip against fucking Chelsea, sitting back like their wanker manager told them to in order to avoid a massacre against the best LFC team in 24 years ... That's epic tragedy.

If tragedies involve multimillionaires that live long healthy lives, marry for love and are almost wholly successful in every career goal they ever had, then this qualifies as one.

With respect, George Best is a tragedy. Stevie G is a success story by any standards bar Manchester United's hegemony.

I have been talking exclusively about the sporting narrative of the game, not tragic personal lives. I dont think it's an abstract concept so bringing George Best in seems a bit pedantic. Anyway, Best while pissing away his career never had half the pressure on him Gerrard has had. In sporting terms he wasted himself

If we're talking actual human tragedy then I think Robert Enke or that young lad from West Ham who passed away a few weeks ago, or Villanova are better examples than Best.

Gerrard's tragedy is probably more of the Greek variety, the fates' revenge for Olympiakos on the CL run perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back