new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (1 Viewer)

Torres didn't really do any agitating until Chelsea actually made a bid though, which wasn't that long ago.

Yeah, but he could have signalled his intent to leave at the start of the window, giving Pool plenty of time to find a replacement. It's all great gas, i'd easily watch sky sports news for the rest of the night...if i had it.

Yeah, but he could have signalled his intent to leave at the start of the window, giving Pool plenty of time to find a replacement. It's all great gas, i'd easily watch sky sports news for the rest of the night...if i had it.

finding it difficult to turn away from the bloody channel too long i must say. from SkySN, torres given go ahead to speak personal terms with chelsea now. Pool fans burning torres shirt outside melwood in the last hour. funny. slowly singed away. those things seem relatively inflammable

Bullshit. By all accounts they had been talking already. Chelsea bid knowing that Torres would push.

Didn't Pool just do the same with Carroll? Don't hate the player hate the game. Saw some scousers burning a Torres shirt on SSN early. The mind boggles...

Edit: Ah just saw the Torres shirt burners get a mention above....

Thing to remember is wages, which is where players really cost the club money. Carroll's fee is 70% of what Chelsea are paying for Torres, but in terms of wages he was on what, £35k a week at Newcastle? There's no way he's walking into £120k a week, which is what Torres was pulling down, so over the weeks and months we're saving a lot of cash here.

He's on 80k a week at Pool, they're saying.

Face it, it's a pretty shit deal. Talking of him being a great signing for years and years is poppycock. If he does great, he'll head off to a bigger club. Just like Nando did.

Face it, it's a pretty shit deal. Talking of him being a great signing for years and years is poppycock. If he does great, he'll head off to a bigger club. Just like Nando did.

There may be better teams at the moment but there aren't any bigger clubs. If you look at it in isolation we've overpayed but we're just using the extra cash we got for Torres so it's not so bad. I'm excited to have a player like Carroll at the club, it been a long time since we've had one like him.

erm, good - if he does well we win games, if he goes and we double the money on him, 'just like nando did', we buy the next 22 year old up and comer.
you're not exactly demonstrating your acumen here

lads who gives a fuck about the price? liverpool needed a striker and they went and got one. a couple of years ago we would have been muscled out of it. spurs offered 30 mil and were told to fuck off. liverpool can now outbid the spurs? players aren't out of our reach now. carroll is a youngfella, with a lot of promise. if he works out, and i see no reason why he won't, as he perfectly suited to the premier league, already an international etc etc, and he scores goals and liverpool are on the up again and we pick up some pots, people won't give a shit how much he cost. john barnes cost a lot of money. at the time people were umming and awwing about paying nearly 1 and a half million on a footballer. same goes for nando, 25 million on a player who had, at that time, not scored 20 goals a season and never won anything. the money is irrelevant. carroll is a good footballer, who will improve and looks like he can score a lot of goals and plays in a way that liverpool need. he *could* be a revelation.

christian vieri cost a lot of money once upon a time too. and edin dzecko is in a similar mould. the bustling centre forward, i.e drogba, is a big part of the modern game. the best we've had was emile heskey, and carroll has something he never had, which is self confidence.

it seems to me that people here think that the money spent on carroll is the summer transfer kitty? what's that based on? i think we'll be seeing some new faces, some big ones maybe, in the summer.

if he goes and we double the money on him,

I think that's ambitious, he could well be an excellent signing for Liverpool in a footballing context but I don't imagine that there's ever going to be any significant resale value on him to the club, you've bought at the top of the market on this one.

The caveat on that is that he may have some value in terms of book cooking with amortisation (as far as I understand how the process works). It's a 5.5 year deal right? So if it gets to the final year of his contract his book value to the club will be worth in the region of 6 million and if the club were to let him go for say 25 they'd be able to record that deal as a 19 million pound profit in their annual accounts regardless of the hit that they took on the price that they paid for him.

Giuseppe Rossi could have been had for less than £30m, and he's twice the player Carroll will ever be.
This is indicative of dinosaur "Buy British" thinking, (probably from Dalglish) that I don't see helping the club.

What's done is done. I'm sorry to see Torres go, but once he wanted out that was that. Carroll is by no means an adequate replacement (yet) but fuck it, at least we've gotten someone in. We've got Stoke as a meet and greet on Wednesday, and then it's Carroll VS Torres on Sunday. It's gonna be a very interesting week.

I think that's ambitious, he could well be an excellent signing for Liverpool in a footballing context but I don't imagine that there's ever going to be any significant resale value on him to the club, you've bought at the top of the market on this one.

The caveat on that is that he may have some value in terms of book cooking with amortisation (as far as I understand how the process works). It's a 5.5 year deal right? So if it gets to the final year of his contract his book value to the club will be worth in the region of 6 million and if the club were to let him go for say 25 they'd be able to record that deal as a 19 million pound profit in their annual accounts regardless of the hit that they took on the price that they paid for him.

I agree it's overly ambitious - I was referring to Franco's 'just like Nando did', which is presumably supposed to rile Liverpool supporters by ignoring the fucking huge profit the sale brought in.

Hector's hit the nail on the head, basically it shows that NESV are willing to invest in the team. Hopefully in a more measured manner in the longer run.

as for g-rossi, i haven't seen him in a while, he looks okay, but the uefa rules thing... i think top drawer homegrown talent in going to become a premium for all clubs in all leagues. carroll looks to have more about his game than bent, lets say. for all his goals, he's a terrible football and can't hold up a ball, but jesus, he can score goals. so it's a weird on, is it just about the goals? how much for mick quinn? dalglish and beardsley scored less than rush and aldrige. who's the more important player?

liverpool have, in one afternoon, completely changed the team, from one man up front, to a classic big man-not so big man deal. beardo-aldo, shearer-sutton, sheared-ferdinand. kenny knows his onions.

the transfer fee has taken the shine of a good buy and diverted attention from nando. where's the hand wringing? do i get the impression that people think it was time for him to move on? he hadn't really performed in a year or so, and not just for us.

as for g-rossi, i haven't seen him in a while, he looks okay, but the uefa rules thing... i think top drawer homegrown talent in going to become a premium for all clubs in all leagues.

Does Rossi qualify as homegrown in England due to his time at United? I'd say that he's on the threshold.

They're not really investing in the team yet though, Torres and Babel out for Suarez and Carroll seem to balance out costwise. Still seems like an improvement overall, and better than taking money out of the club like the previous cowboys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back