New Coen Brothers: Burn After Reading (1 Viewer)

S'good this. I'm not clever enough to come straight out of a Coen Brothers flick and be able to say i like/dont like it straight off the bat. That's why i like Coen Bros. movies though, you get a couple hours out of it afterwards while it all sinks in.

Was'nt nuts about Pitt in it though. Dont know if someone else could've done it better.

The CIA guys' scenes are fucking priceless.

I thought this was pretty good too, not one to trouble their top 10 best though. I agree with the points made about the misanthropic feel, but I kinda enjoyed the misery and found it fairly funny. Not a great film, but lots of great performances.

I loved this to bits. Two particular stand-out moments were Pitt snorting "You think it's a Schwinn" and Malkovitch prowling around the house with a gun in one hand and not even bothering to put down the scotch in the other.

As far as misanthropy goes, the world's staffed with vacuous twits so I have no problem with anybody ridiculing them for an hour and a half.

watched this tonight. i thought it was enjoyable. a clever comedy about stupid people. not a whole lot of laugh out loud moments but some of the dialogue was great.

Yeah, i could take it or leave it.
Good thing they made No Country in the midst of these last few throwaway comedies.

JK Simmons is brilliant in the tiny part he has.
Pity the trailer gives away so many of the best parts.

I really enjoyed it while watching it but after felt nothing, I'd put it in the same bracket as Oceans Eleven in that it's enjoyable to watch but completely throw away after.

As mentioned alrerady JK Simmons cameo was great, Brad Pitt and Malktraz seemed to be having great fun in it to.

I really enjoyed it while watching it but after felt nothing, I'd put it in the same bracket as Oceans Eleven in that it's enjoyable to watch but completely throw away after.

As mentioned alrerady JK Simmons cameo was great, Brad Pitt and Malktraz seemed to be having great fun in it to.
oceans 11? ah come on. that film was a flatulant, celebrity wank fest. it was basically a two hour fashion shoot. burn after reading wasn't perfect but it was fucking beckett compared to that self indulgent pile of wank

intolerable cruelty came after the man who wasn't there. that was pretty throwaway in fairness though

It was. My point is that apart from the No Country.... they have been on a downward trajectory for 7 years.

I liked The Man Who Wasn't There but didn't love it. It's been 8 years since the last out and out classic Coens movie; O Brother Where Art Thou?

It was. My point is that apart from the No Country.... they have been on a downward trajectory for 7 years.

I liked The Man Who Wasn't There but didn't love it. It's been 8 years since the last out and out classic Coens movie; O Brother Where Art Thou?
yeah that was a hard movie to love. it was beautifully lit and shot but quite dull. no country is an awesome movie. that and miller's crossing are their high watermark films for me. they're adapting michael chabon's the yiddish policeman's union soon which is a perfect coens vehicle

he used to be married to julie burchill. :eek:

_38075960_newsmakers_birchill_300.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back