New Coen Brothers: Burn After Reading (2 Viewers)

cool. i don't know who she is. she kind of looks like matt lucas with a wig

lucasPA221206_243x253.jpg

Saw this today, thought it really fell between two stools.. not enough laugh-out-loud moments to be a proper comedy (though as somebody said earlier, the CIA men meetings were hilarious) but the lightly sketched characters and screwball moments undermine any sort of serious drama.. Just ends up just being a somewhat depressing story about a bunch of unlikeable and/or deeply misguided twits who get no better than they deserve. Coen brothers movies tend to be 'growers' I suppose but I can't really imagine wanting to see this again.

I think the title probably indicates the Coens feelings about the inherent throwaway-ness of the flick.

It's certainly nothing to do with Ozzie's Grade 3-clearance "mem-waw".

I really enjoyed it. Thought Clooney's character was all over the shop though.

THe mainstream spy/thriller Steven SEagal movie music doesn't help either.

The big problems is that with all of the other Coen Brothers black comedies no matter how stupid, vapid, vacuous, vain everyone else is there is one character who the viewer can root for - one likeable character; the Dude, Marge etc.

In this there really wasn't one.

Big flaw.

The big problems is that with all of the other Coen Brothers black comedies no matter how stupid, vapid, vacuous, vain everyone else is there is one character who the viewer can root for - one likeable character; the Dude, Marge etc.

In this there really wasn't one.

Big flaw.
i dunno, the hard bodies manager was a decent chappy. fair enough, he was a minor character but he still had a couple of poignant moments. the priest gag was good

i dunno, the hard bodies manager was a decent chappy. fair enough, he was a minor character but he still had a couple of poignant moments. the priest gag was good
was waiting for a long time to see this movie.
so very let down. great performances i thought but that couldnt save it.
it just seemed to fizzle out towards the end and then, well, it just ended. maybe it could have redeemed itself but yeah, it needed a strong likeable character you could root for. it was all very meh for me. though i did love Clooney and Pitt in it.

I went to see this last week. Brad Pitt's performance reminded me of his performance in Johnny Suede all those years ago - no bad thing.

The Coen bros films get a little samey after a while. Engaging while you watch them but they fade quickly.

The Coen bros films get a little samey after a while. Engaging while you watch them but they fade quickly.
ah here, they've made some of the most original and memorable films in contemporary american cinema. blood simple, fargo, millers crossing and no country are all modern classics

saw it last night, JK Simmons did what he always does when he plays a slightly gruff guy behind a desk and stole the show.

It did end abruptly but in a good way, like proving how quickly the CIA move on and bury things, and how little regard they have for the people they're meant to protect? Also, how many movies you've seen end with the sentence 'Jesus fuckin Christ?!'

cluster fuck is my new favourite phrase thanks to this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back