NEW CASS MC COMBS (2 Viewers)

not sure how I got on the Domino mailing list but anyway, just got this;

Cass McCombs, singer-songwriter born in Northern California in 1977 and currently residing somewhere in that State, is set to release WIT’S END, his fifth-and-a-half album and third on Domino, on 11th April. The result of two years recording in various homes and studios in California, New York, New Jersey and Chicago, WIT'S END was produced by Cass with Ariel Rechtshaid, with whom he also created CATACOMBS.

Sounds that conjure the colors purple and black, this is his darkest record to date. It seems he is going deeper into the mania of a man buried alive inside his self-made CATACOMBS, banging the stone walls, crying to be let out, and enjoying the quiet away from the outside world. However, he is not a man afraid of his own shadow, for in this environment of complete darkness, no shadows can be cast. This is a world of total Feeling. Here, words become a catalyst away from the slavery of arbitrary Thought and tow! ard Feeling.

Cass and his band will play SXSW this year, and tour the U.S. this summer.

Listen to the lead track “County Line”, off of WIT’S END.

New Cass album is very very slow and mournful. Great in the way that Cass is great, but nothing along the lines of Lionkiller or That's That. I consider it similar in a way to that late-revival era Dylan of Time Out Of Mind, Oh Mercy or maybe Love and Theft (though that last one has a lot of rockers on it).

There's no fast songs on it and not much catchy stuff on it - very dirgey, but only one track I'm not too keen on. Still has his charm all over it though. I'd give it a try.

gig of the year so far

the third time I've seen him and the best by a stretch. It was a well-chosen setlist and any fears that he'd focus too much on the new album (or the 2 before that) were unfounded. There was a nice spread across the board. It was a real treat to hear the stuff from 'A'.

gig of the year so far

the third time I've seen him and the best by a stretch. It was a well-chosen setlist and any fears that he'd focus too much on the new album (or the 2 before that) were unfounded. There was a nice spread across the board. It was a real treat to hear the stuff from 'A'.
Great gig alright. Good spread from the back catalogue as well, though it would have been nice to have something from Not the Way. Surprised you're not digging the last few albums. Especially Wit's End, up there with his best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back