NEIL YOUNG ARCHIVES (1 Viewer)

I'd be very interested in Toast. Most of Chrome Dreams appeared on subsequent records, right?
Yeah, Chrome Dreams and Oceanside both have been scattered across other albums but some of them have been new recordings at the time of those albums. “Going Home” from Toast is on Are You Passionate.

I think most of the unreleased songs have been played live too.

The Neil Young Archives site is now including unreleased outtakes from various albums so I ended up joining last night. Twenty quid for the year so let’s see how this goes.

Well, you get pretty much everything that's already available on other streaming services but at higher streaming quality (CD quality on my mobile, full HD on my internet at home) along with some outtakes (only about 5 tracks now but more promised). New releases will be on NYA first for three months before other services and there are a bunch of rotating videos available in the "Hearse Theatre" - a cinema with three screens. One screen is a bunch of 25 minute mini-performances recorded during lockdown, another is currently showing a single live track ("Payola Blues" from Solo Trans) with a full movie scheduled for tomorrow (Trunk Show, which I've never seen), and the third screen has two options available (a 50 minute Lincvolt documentary and a 30 minute behind the scenes of the Sleeps with Angels sessions).

One strange omission is the Greendale Live in Vicar St. album which is available on Apple Music but not on NYA. The movie (which came as a bonus DVD with the album) is listed on the site but not currently available.

Well, you get pretty much everything that's already available on other streaming services but at higher streaming quality (CD quality on my mobile, full HD on my internet at home) along with some outtakes (only about 5 tracks now but more promised). New releases will be on NYA first for three months before other services and there are a bunch of rotating videos available in the "Hearse Theatre" - a cinema with three screens. One screen is a bunch of 25 minute mini-performances recorded during lockdown, another is currently showing a single live track ("Payola Blues" from Solo Trans) with a full movie scheduled for tomorrow (Trunk Show, which I've never seen), and the third screen has two options available (a 50 minute Lincvolt documentary and a 30 minute behind the scenes of the Sleeps with Angels sessions).

Cheers- seems pretty comprehensive! There goes my weekend...

@Cornu Ammonis as payback for your Prince story from a Neil Young book here's a Neil Young story from a Prince book, from Prince recording engineer Coke Johnson

Coke Johnson.jpg

Prince sounds like a fucking pain to work with tbh

@Cornu Ammonis as payback for your Prince story from a Neil Young book here's a Neil Young story from a Prince book, from Prince recording engineer Coke Johnson

View attachment 14377

Prince sounds like a fucking pain to work with tbh
He does but he got results. Neil embraces the sloppiness and the spur of the moment, it's a whole different approach and endpoint. Most of the takes on his albums are first takes with minimal overdubs, it's about being in the moment rather than clinical attention to detail. Both are completely valid ways of making music.

He does but he got results. Neil embraces the sloppiness and the spur of the moment, it's a whole different approach and endpoint. Most of the takes on his albums are first takes with minimal overdubs, it's about being in the moment rather than clinical attention to detail. Both are completely valid ways of making music.
They might have more in common than you think, Prince was all about spontaneity and keeping mistakes as well, his albums are chock full of them, the basic tracks of his songs were written and recorded in single sessions most of the time. He would do overdubs and edits if it was going to make a major release but he pretty much always kept that basic track as the foundation. There's some seriously dodgy "that will do" edits on his less high-profile releases. He wasn't like Michael Jackson, perfecting songs over months and years.

My theory is he had such psychological hangups about control coming from being a tiny black guy in a majority white state and a broken home etc. etc. that he needed to control every aspect of his life and the lives around him in order to allow himself a safe space that couldn't be interrupted where he could be comfortable enough to let his guard down and be spontaneous and all that.

Attention @Cornu Ammonis !

Ha, came here to post that. Reminds me of how few recent albums I've listened to. Must dip into them via the archive site...
Surprised how low Harvest is on the list, still a bloody great album

I wouldn’t quibble too much with the list though I know Cornu will!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back