My Bloody Valentine were my comedy band (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 36
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 3

RSJ

Website
www.gravelbox.net
Further proof that alan mcgee is a complete cunt (for further evidence see the meeting with blair, and oasis)

"My Bloody Valentine Were A Joke"
Hey have you heard? Shoegaze has "become hip again"! And Guardian's got a big ol' feature on it, identifying Deerhunter and Asobi Seksu among others as the "nu-gazers" responsible for the resurgence -- and asking "why now?"
Worthy topic, sure, but it's the quotes that count, and in speaking with those responsible for the first-wave, they scored a doosy.
It doesn't help that Alan McGee, the man who signed Ride, My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive to Creation, is its most vehement critic. "Bloody nonsense. My Bloody Valentine were my comedy band.​
Ride were different - they were a rock band, really, a fantastic rock band - but My Bloody Valentine were a joke, my way of seeing how far I could push hype." Although he said Shields was a genius in the Guardian in 2004, he now says, unconvincingly, that the revival is just people still buying his lies.​
Alan McGee -- loveless. As if we have to ask. So, we won't. Instead we dedicate this to you, Alan McGee! Thanks for the laughs.

What is it with brits (i know he's scottish) and the music press, every interview has to have loads of ott statements & they're completley obsessed with class

Nu-gaze, fucksake....they'll be hailing poison as geniuses next year...then there be a 2unlimited revival, I can picture the cover of mojo..."fear & loathing. The recording of tribal dance"....and don't forget the boxsets

It was a useless article anyway. Didn't give you a sense of the early 90s British shoe-gazing scene at all. Just a load of pointless opinions.

But yeah, that McGee quote. Did he not say that Mr.Beast was the best record he'd been involved in since Loveless? He seems like a bit of a sensationalist. Anything he says from now on will have no weight behind it.

I've never understood the appeal of Ride. Ah well, you're not gonna like everything...

McGee's a mentalist - he believes his own hype too much.

I don't know how anyone could ever respect the opinion of the man who signed bloody OASIS, for god's sake.

Has anyone ever seen any of his myspace bulletins? They're all typed in CAPS LIKE THIS and are all about his "favourite albums ever".

I think what with all the MBV rumours going around at the moment he's trying to cash in...

Yeah signing Oasis was just so stupid, that was a terrible business choice to make!

McGee is a cunt though.

Singing Oasis, best thing he ever done..but slagging of MBV, they made the ultimate shoegaze album. Loveless is a total masterpiece, it can't be bettered in that genre

he's at it again:

Hype is fun. Everyone that worked in the music industry has been involved in it in some way, since acts sometimes need a kick-start to get the audience in front of them. Highlights of my hyping skills include talking up Kevin Shields to be a Brian Eno-like genius (when in fact you could put a monkey in the studio with Alan Moulder and make it sonically interesting), and the Boo Radleys, who were signed to demonstrate to Kevin that I could take anybody doing "his" music and make it a number one.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/08/hype_springs_eternal.html

yea ride were utter shite. think the b-side of their seciond ep had a great track but apart from that...meh.

mcgees sounds like he's back on the gear...

i preferred ride to my bloody valentine... the first four ep's and nowhere were absolutely great - 25 wonderful songs... after that it was steadily downhill...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back