Modern Classical (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter hugh
  • Start date
  • Replies 150
  • Views 13K
  • Watchers 5
that's pretty interesting. I've seen a lot of self-styled clever people suddenly get mad into modern (and not so modern) classical music in the past few years, can't figure out if it's an age thing or a sign of the times.
I think it's a bit of both. Pop music is so self referential that eventually if feels as though you've heard it all.

Basically what I'm saying is that by 30 you've burned out on pop and go looking for something new and instead of 60 odd years of the pop canon there's 300 years of classical music to whet your appetite. It makes total sense really. Especially since much of it offers a kind of challenge.

I think it's a bit of both. Pop music is so self referential that eventually if feels as though you've heard it all.

Basically what I'm saying is that by 30 you've burned out on pop and go looking for something new and instead of 60 odd years of the pop canon there's 300 years of classical music to whet your appetite. It makes total sense really. Especially since much of it offers a kind of challenge.
Yeah that makes sense. It's part of a larger conversation to do with feminism and acceptance of, say, YA stuff in the mainstream but I haven't worked it all out yet. For another thread or sometime when I meet you in the pub.

Yeah that makes sense. It's part of a larger conversation to do with feminism and acceptance of, say, YA stuff in the mainstream but I haven't worked it all out yet. For another thread or sometime when I meet you in the pub.
Huh ? Not sure I get that at all, feminism ? Young adult ? I'm lost. I think it'd take a bottle of Jameson to understand this.

Georg Friedrich Hass: In Vain
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Helmut Lachenmann: Gran Torso

Karlheinz Stockhausen: Kontakte

watched this this morning. the whole thing is up on youtube Gotta commend the guy's attitude! great insight into the man

In case anyone needs a fix of hardcore Minimalism with a capital M/Indian classical music, La Monte Young and Marian Zazeela have reissued their album The Tamburas of Pandit Pran Nath. It's ridiculously expensive from their site due to outrageous shipping costs (over $40 for a CD!) but UK/European distros seem to be stocking it. I got mine here:
Infinite Limits, Undergound Music, Experimental Music, Vinyl, CD, Cassette, LP

I've listened to it twice now and it's some trip. Fingers crossed this means he's actually trying to reissue material as everything is out of print.

Minimalism with a capital M/
That's a nice surprise...would be really great to see some more of his stuff get a release...an affordable & legal copy of The Well-Tuned Piano would be just brilliant. And some of the recent Just Alap Raga Ensemble performances...all well-documented. €46 for shipping is typical Mela Foundation arseholery though...I don't understand it. Are they including labour?!
Other music sounds a bit mad after you listen to this cd.

You might like this...I think it's just beautiful. Check out who's sitting on the right

(I may have posted this before..apologies if so!)

Ha, he's a bad ass looking mofo!

That's wonderful, I love the sound of just intonation on the piano. This strays a little too far into Einaudi-ish melodies for my liking but it's pretty good overall. Have you heard Terry Riley's The Harp of Albion? It's another work for just intonation on the piano, it's up there with Young's Well Tuned Piano for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back