Modern Classical (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter hugh
  • Start date
  • Replies 150
  • Views 13K
  • Watchers 5
Am enjoying listening to all that Reich stuff but I can see D's point in that I imagine it can get a bit formulaic after a while.

By the way, listening to Electric Counterpoint right now and by God it's the Redneck Manifesto! I never copped before how much their whole plickety-plickety double guitar line thing comes from this.

I'm probably ready for the Riley or Young rundown now if Cornu (or anyone else) would like to oblige ;-)

Hiya Hugh...
I'd like to add the main missing name here: Stockhausen. Gesang Der Junglinge, Kontakte, Stimmung...all wonderful, and that's only the tiniest toe dipped in the water of his vast output.
He's also got a great biog, completely out there.
With regards to Lamonte Young I don't think he's been sidelined...I think he has deliberately stayed in complete control of his output and his catalogue. I think he's much more exacting in terms of performance than the other so-called Minimalists, and hasn't felt the need to allow his work out to other ensembles the way Reich and the others have.
http://www.discogs.com/artist/32203-La-Monte-Young
That's Young's entire recorded output there, all great,especially The Well-Tuned Piano.
And since this conversation has come back to Glass/Reich/Adams a lot, this book is very enjoyable and useful for contextualising what you're currentlyinvestigating:
Amazon product ASIN 0521015014Also, since we're in Ireland, Roger Doyle's Rapid Eye Movements is great, top notch concrete.
And finally, I really like a guy called Michael Von Biel. I read about him when reading about Can, he was a big influence on them.

Two good things:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jesus Christ. I was in the Dream House a few times, if I had been braver I could have picked up the black album and the Well-Tuned Piano DVD for about a hundred dollars each. I went for the Tamburas Of Pandit Pran Nath for $20. And a tiny white-on-white Marian Zazeela postcard for $5, which I subsequently ruined by bleeding on. :rolleyes: I never saw those Velvet Underground Appreciation Society cassettes before. They look amazing and irritating and expensive in equal measure.

The Tamburas Of Pandit Pran Nath is a static 80 minutes of two perfectly tuned tamburas playing one chord. They recorded 60 minutes and copied 20 minutes from that onto the end. There's a rumbling sound a couple of times on the recording, which for a long time I thought was an almost imperceptibly subtle musical payoff, until someone told me it was the rumble of trucks going by their building. I tried to play some of it between sets one night at a gig in Lazybird, lost a lot of the crowd.

Jesus Christ. I was in the Dream House a few times, if I had been braver I could have picked up the black album and the Well-Tuned Piano DVD for about a hundred dollars each. I went for the Tamburas Of Pandit Pran Nath for $20.

same here, but i don't remember seeing the LP or DVD though (oct. 2002)

dream house was an amazing, immersive experience

I never really equate AMM with modern composition, to me they always feel closer to jazz in terms of approach but I can't really articulate why.

AMM emerged from Jazz, yes, but they sounded like IRCAM / Stockhausen ... it's a way of doing and of listening that they have in common. It broke my heart when I heard Reich ragging on free-improv ... there is continuity, but it is fraught

AMM emerged from Jazz, yes, but they sounded like IRCAM / Stockhausen ... it's a way of doing and of listening that they have in common.

I get where you're coming from but, as a case in point, John Tilbury doing Feldman versus Tilbury playing with AMM is like two different people. Two different musics. And in relation to Shaney's post that they're not composers because they don't compose, I don't really buy that either. Does writing a score that essentially says: "Improvise freely" (which many 20th Century composers have essentially done) make you a composer but going out and improvising freely makes you something else?

It broke my heart when I heard Reich ragging on free-improv ... there is continuity, but it is fraught

He's Reich as often as he's wrong.

Here's some Sakamoto stuff

Music concreteish stuff ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back