Modern Classical (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter hugh
  • Start date
  • Replies 150
  • Views 13K
  • Watchers 5
Latest show starts with interview and music from an Irish composer working in the present

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

really great doc on bbc4 tonight, 'tones, drones & arpeggios: the magic of minimalism' presented by the ever-reliable charles hazelwood. repeated at 3am if you missed it. part 2 of 2 next friday. focused on and interviewed both lamonte young (first time ever on bbc) and terry riley, with contributions from kyle gann, adrian utley (including recreations of early minimalist phase and time-lag pieces).

Will sort you out later or tomorrow.

I was planning a big post-Young minimalism post about Conrad, Yoshi Wada, Pauline Oliveros, Niblock, etc.

no pressure, but how are these coming together?!

really great doc on bbc4 tonight, 'tones, drones & arpeggios: the magic of minimalism'
part 2 last night which i forgot about until 9.59 and only saw the end credits. took a nap and watched it at 3am. well worth getting up for. focus on the new york minimalism of reich and glass this time. enjoyed the interview with glass, and nico muhly's contributions, but the highlights were the hazelwood ensemble footage, particularly when they broke down elements of e.g. reich's 'variations for winds, strings and keyboards'. for a non-musician like me it's fascinating to hear the individual instruments and melodies are how they're combined, and hazelwood's engaging presentation was never didactic.

pity there isn't a part 3 on the 2nd and 3rd generation minimalists and more on the legacy of the forerunners. still, quality t.v. from start to finish.

part 2 last night which i forgot about until 9.59 and only saw the end credits. took a nap and watched it at 3am. well worth getting up for. focus on the new york minimalism of reich and glass this time. enjoyed the interview with glass, and nico muhly's contributions, but the highlights were the hazelwood ensemble footage, particularly when they broke down elements of e.g. reich's 'variations for winds, strings and keyboards'. for a non-musician like me it's fascinating to hear the individual instruments and melodies are how they're combined, and hazelwood's engaging presentation was never didactic.

pity there isn't a part 3 on the 2nd and 3rd generation minimalists and more on the legacy of the forerunners. still, quality t.v. from start to finish.
cheers for the heads up on this, watched the first episode earlier. Quality. looking forward to the second later on

Or even all the women also composing and working at the same time. Pauline Oliveros got a brief mention in part one but they could have done better than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back