Modern Classical (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter hugh
  • Start date
  • Replies 150
  • Views 13K
  • Watchers 5
Terry Riley is playing the Sugar Club with his son in October.

La Monte Young has finally reissued The Well Tuned Piano on DVD (over 6 hours long!) but it's not cheap. Just ordered it from SoundOhm, 88 quid!

I went to one of those Just Alap Raga Ensemble shows in the Dream House in 2012. It was unforgettable. High summer, roasting, all windows closed and no a.c. because they were recording the performance. We (about 25 people) had to sit down on the carpet, and wait for about half an hour. Young and Zazeela and Jung Hee Choi and Naren Budhkar kinda floated in from their apartment like some kind of Space Cult, sat down and did an hour-long Alap (which I am told is the opening improvised section of a raga), which I don't have words to describe, and certainly words wouldn't do it justice. But it was certainly one of my favourite musical experiences. Then they floated out and that was it. Walking downstairs into the city again was one of the strangest experiences I've ever had. Surrounded by the purple Dream House light, sitting on a huge thick carpet, the smell of heavy incense, and the perfect music performed beautifully for a couple of hours, and then suddenly, back on the sweltering street listening to cabbies roaring at each other. They do a month of weekend performances every now and then...they're in the middle of one now, and I'm sure there'll be another one soon. Mela Foundation
I mean, if you're in a position to go to New York it's a huge highlight, well worth it. I had a gig, and thank the stars, it lined up with this show.

I’d build a New York trip around it. Generally I’ve little reason to go to the US so why not? I mean aside from the hassle and the expense.

Ah why not is right!
I don't know of any other composer who is so rigorous, even Reich doesn't come close. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I love it...I think when a composer has that level of rigour it can make music extremely affecting.
Young is a dude who kinda drags you along with him...he generally explains what he's doing. I love that about him. The performance I went to came with a pretty exhaustive (exhausting, maybe) booklet of explanations and history and context, and even the maths. And the Tamburas of Pandit Pran Nath is the same. It's great because Young works in such a heavily classical field with huge heritage (both Western and Indian), which I and probably a lot of his audience would only be vaguely familiar with. So you really feel you're being focussed on the core of what he's about, and where the music comes from. There's also a bit of a chancer in him which I love too. He used to be a dealer to the Velvet Underground among others.

Another possibility for your potential visit: I don't know if he still does this, but he and Marian Zazeela used to do an "Indian Classical Music Lesson" in their apartment for about €300. Righteous

you're supposed to sleep through the 8-hour performance and let the music wash over you.

or you could just save your money and sleep at home.

I'd go to another gig like his last one here, but not sure about an 8-hour set.

I thought it was already performed in Ireland, must have imagined it.

I've listened to the whole 8 hours of it before. For that money I'd probably stay awake anyways just because its music.

its a good 8 hours, but the excerpts on their own are great things.

the risk of being awful weather puts me off too.

mad gig for a musician.

I thought it was already performed in Ireland, must have imagined it.

I've listened to the whole 8 hours of it before. For that money I'd probably stay awake anyways just because its music.

its a good 8 hours, but the excerpts on their own are great things.

the risk of being awful weather puts me off too.

mad gig for a musician.
They played excerpts from it at the NCH as part of a regular concert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back