Miscellaneous book trivia and stuff (1 Viewer)

There is no answer to either of those questions but here's a lengthy list by Harold Bloom, who is still probably the biggest defender of the very idea canon-forming

HAROLD BLOOM'S THEOCRATIC CANON

you'll be quizzed about it at the end of term.

Bloom has since disowned that list, saying it was put together under pressure from the publisher and done hurriedly.

Bloom has since disowned that list, saying it was put together under pressure from the publisher and done hurriedly.
Oh hai lurker, be that as it may I'm sure if he made a new list it'd have about 95% crossover, maybe 5% less women. Come on like, "Actually, Shakespeare is out"

Bloom:The list was not my idea. It was the idea of the publisher, the editor, and my agents. I fought it. I finally gave up. I hated it. I did it off the top of my head. I left out a lot of things that should be there and I probably put in a couple of things that I now would like to kick out. I kept it out of the Italian and the Swedish translations, but it’s in all the other translations—about 15 or 18 of them. I’m sick of the whole thing. All over the world, including here, people reviewed and attacked the list and didn’t read the book. So let’s agree right now, my dear. We will not mention the list.

meh

Last edited:
Save it for the Harold Bloom in context thread, the point is the list exists and is a pretty good list to help answer the original question.

Yes, yes, very good. Now either provide a different, author-approved list or get back under your rock.

heh, i like this response

On the Pleasures of Not Reading

I have for many years now actively enjoyed not reading Charles Bukowski. I want to say with conviction that Bukowski is not so much a voice from hell as a voice from Hell-Lite™, a kind of flimsy, adolescent imitation of true misanthropy—but I have no evidence to furnish in my case against him. How could I? I’ve never read him. All I know is that I’ve listened to a tepid Modest Mouse song about him; I have spoken to a stranger at a bar who told me she’d “snort his words off the page,” if she could; and I’ve sneered at the cover of Ham on Rye in a Park Slope Barnes and Noble. If you asked me to mount a cogent defense of my antipathy, I’d have to say something pretentious like “I find his role in the culture banal.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back