Miscellaneous book trivia and stuff (2 Viewers)

Alright, for the day that's in it, here's a list of 10 books that have stayed with me my throughout my life. I wouldn't say this is my definitive top 10 because the list could change on any given day depending on my mood, and there's millions of books that I haven't read yet and that have yet to be written that could end up on there, but here you go:

1. Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
2. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
3. The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
4. At Swim - Two Birds - Flann O'Brien
5. The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler
6. Naked Lunch - William Burroughs
7. The Sheltering Sky - Paul Bowles
8. Wise Blood - Flannery O'Connor
9. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
10. Underworld - Don DeLillo

Hmmm, mostly American, mostly dark and weird as hell. He didn't make it on my list but special mention for James Ellroy whose LA Quartet, along with Blue Velvet, kick started my fascination with the dark side of American fiction, and for Denis Johnson who's my favourite writer working today.

Good reading but I thought it could have been a chapter or two shorter, it dragged a little towards the end.
I tired Naked Lunch years back but found it too messy, maybe the more 'mature' me would get it. Junky on the other hand was great.

1. Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
2. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
3. The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
4. At Swim - Two Birds - Flann O'Brien
5. The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler
6. Naked Lunch - William Burroughs
7. The Sheltering Sky - Paul Bowles
8. Wise Blood - Flannery O'Connor
9. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
10. Underworld - Don DeLillo
I've read the ones in bold, love Blood Meridian, At Swim-Two Birds and Lord of the Flies. Naked Lunch I find to be hugely overrated and Underworld was a snoozefest. I've tried a few times with Burroughs (Soft Machine and have Junky on the shelf) and DeLillo (about 3-4 books) and think they're just not for me. Largely superficial pretension in both cases. The only DeLillo I kind of liked was the 9/11 one (Falling Man?) which everyone else seems to hate.

Actors writing novels and the like, has anyone read any of the Jesse Eisenberg or Ethan Hawke (or James Franco for that matter) books?

Amazon product ASIN 0802124046
Bream Gives Me Hiccups: And Other Stories is the whip-smart fiction debut of Academy Award-nominated actor Jesse Eisenberg. Known for his iconic film roles but also for his regular pieces in the New Yorker and his two critically acclaimed plays, Eisenberg is an emerging literary voice.

Eisenberg's New Yorker pieces are excruciatingly bad.

Actors writing novels and the like, has anyone read any of the Jesse Eisenberg or Ethan Hawke (or James Franco for that matter) books?

Amazon product ASIN 0802124046
Bream Gives Me Hiccups: And Other Stories is the whip-smart fiction debut of Academy Award-nominated actor Jesse Eisenberg. Known for his iconic film roles but also for his regular pieces in the New Yorker and his two critically acclaimed plays, Eisenberg is an emerging literary voice.

Eisenberg's New Yorker pieces are excruciatingly bad.

Read Ethan Hawke's Ash Wednesday several years ago. Really enjoyed it. Quite indie movie-esque. but good stuff, well written and very funny at times. Not sure why I never read any of his others.

51nXT1v817L._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I know men like this. Not the book club bit, but the fact that they never read female writers. Wouldn't even dawn on them to do so.

A workmate once picked up a Margaret Atwood book I was reading. The conversation went something like this.

Him: I've never read a book by a female writer
Me: What? Never? Really? Why not?
Him: Ahgh... wouldn't be into it.
Me: What? Why not?
Him: Ahgh, ye know yourself
Me:???!!!

I know men like this. Not the book club bit, but the fact that they never read female writers. Wouldn't even dawn on them to do so.

A workmate once picked up a Margaret Atwood book I was reading. The conversation went something like this.

Him: I've never read a book by a female writer
Me: What? Never? Really? Why not?
Him: Ahgh... wouldn't be into it.
Me: What? Why not?
Him: Ahgh, ye know yourself
Me:???!!!
What would a woman know about things that she could express in written words?

i can't even watch a 30-minute tv program without getting distracted

i often play 2048 at the same time as watching something

stupid internet

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back