Miscellaneous book trivia and stuff (1 Viewer)

diauhdiad?

Supporter
Threads
I've been spending far more time reading about books lately than I have reading books so I need somewhere to post about reading about books that I havent (or maybe have)read.

I havent read any of the top ten best selling books ever but some lad has reviewed them in an enjoyable enough way. I didn't even know agatha christie had a book called Ten Little Niggers

edit: I have read the Tolkien ones

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Threads
Website
thumped.com
Used to have a copy of that, from before it became 10 little indians.

Ferox13

Threads
I havent read any of the top ten best selling books ever but some lad has reviewed them in an enjoyable enough way. I didn't even know agatha christie had a book called Ten Little Niggers
They changed the title to 'And Then There Were None' after the first publication.

Was only reading about She lately. Had never heard of it until reading one of these lists.
Hammer did a number of films loosely based on the book(s).

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Threads
Website
thumped.com
Ten Little Indians was the title of the film(s) version.
the book was released under that name too.

the one in our house was a paperback (probably) 70's version with the original title... although this looks familiar and it's from 82

Threads
how come the bible didn't make that list?
I was wondering that myself till I found this part

Religious books, especially the Bhagavad Gita, the Bible and the Qur'an, are probably the most-printed books, but it is nearly impossible to find reliable sales figures for them. Print figures are missing or unreliable since these books are produced by many different and unrelated publishers. Furthermore, many copies of the Bhagavad Gita, the Bible and the Qur'an are printed and given away free, instead of being sold. The same goes for some political books, such as the works of Mao Zedong or Adolf Hitler. Thus it is impossible to determine either the number printed, or the proportion of those printed that are sold. All such books have been excluded from this list for those reasons.

There ya have it.

Ferox13

Threads
the one in our house was a paperback (probably) 70's version with the original title... although this looks familiar and it's from 82
DAmn - didn't think they were using that title that late.

Goodbye

Threads
I remember a paperback in my grans house when I was a kid - A dark cover - I used to look at the covers - Stared for hours at the cover for 1984

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
Threads
I read one or two of them when I was quite young. I dunno what I got from 'em as most of what the character said went over my head. I think I even had an Amstrad adventure game based on it.

diauhdiad?

Supporter
Threads
A love story with infinite possibilities

What happens when a love story has an infinite number of possible endings? What if a computer re-sorts a novel so that no copy is the same? A radical assault upon the novel from one of Italy's most radical artists.

The story involves two lovers, there is disruption on the streets of Milan, protesters by Porta Ticinese. Can they escape and be together? How will events change their destiny? In Tristano, Nanni Balestrini brilliantly experiments with form and storytelling to create a new type of novel in which technology, author and the reader themselves collaborate to create the narrative. Constructed of ten chapters, each consisting of twenty texts taken from guidebooks, atlases, newspapers and fiction, each printed edition of the novel is ordered uniquely.
http://www.versobooks.com/books/1518-tristano

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads