Minor Pleasures (11 Viewers)

one thing i would have been very interested in was whether there was any way of growing something in ireland which you could make into a coffee substitute (though caffeine would have been a lofty goal).
apparently there's a species of oak which can grow here - not a native one - which can produce passable coffee if you roast the acorns.

one thing i would have been very interested in was whether there was any way of growing something in ireland which you could make into a coffee substitute (though caffeine would have been a lofty goal).
apparently there's a species of oak which can grow here - not a native one - which can produce passable coffee if you roast the acorns.

Dandelions apparently, albeit without the caffeine. Here, from the River Cottage Handbook Number 7(!)

IMG_20230215_135948~2.jpg

I have some serious doubts but I might give it a shot this year

Dandelions apparently, albeit without the caffeine. Here, from the River Cottage Handbook Number 7(!)

View attachment 16672

I have some serious doubts but I might give it a shot this year
Dandelion and burdock is amazing. Clipper used to make a dandelion and burdock tea that was gorgeous but discontinued now.

i have a vague sort of recollection of people using chicory root as coffee substitute during WWII or something.

I only remember this because it grew like a lunatic in my allotment in the US, and I wasn't sure what to do with the stuff. I never actually made coffee with it. Pretty little blue flowers though...

i have a vague sort of recollection of people using chicory root as coffee substitute during WWII or something.

I only remember this because it grew like a lunatic in my allotment in the US, and I wasn't sure what to do with the stuff. I never actually made coffee with it. Pretty little blue flowers though...

The evolution of the label is interesting

Had a long chat with a friend in Australia today, and his kids.
It was lunchtime here but bed time there, so I could hear the Mum on the phone "why are they on the phone still?!"

That makes me the cool uncle.

Chat lasted about two hours, which wrecked any other plans I had for the day. Don't care.

Bike slid from under me yesterday,was turning a corner and the back wheel slid on a wet grate,came right down on my elbow.Suspected fracture didn't turn up on the x-ray I just got.Fuckin delighted.ive the elbows of a newborn

Glad you're ok but that sounds like a hell of a bang.

Users who are viewing this thread

• dudley
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back