Minor Pleasures (18 Viewers)

i once had to do a safety training course where they gave you instructions on how to walk around corners. is that sort of thing still included?
should have mentioned, the advice was that you should never walk tight to the corner in case there's someone coming from the other direction also walking tight to the corner.
when quizzed about what to do afterwards, i said 'you should call your name out when approaching the corner' and my lame attempt at humour backfired, because he rewinded the video and made us watch the relevant section again.

Speaking of walking, the Captain Tom foundation getting dragged has put a spring in my step this morning.
Time to update this t-shirt to include Captain Tom

all-cops-marines-and-texans-are-cowards-shirt-Shirt.jpg

should have mentioned, the advice was that you should never walk tight to the corner in case there's someone coming from the other direction also walking tight to the corner.
when quizzed about what to do afterwards, i said 'you should call your name out when approaching the corner' and my lame attempt at humour backfired, because he rewinded the video and made us watch the relevant section again.

When I was being inductded for my waitor job on my J1 we were told if we were walking in the non-customer areas of the restauratn to call out corner as we were going around a corner in case someone was coming the other way carrying a tray of food.

i used to get grief for not wearing my staff ID on a lanyard around my neck in the office (i dunno why, i hated the sensation; i don't wear any sort of jewellery or a watch), but the same security guard had no issue with me carrying a splitting maul through reception one day.

Well I like it when people wear their lanyards and walk on the left. Minor pleasures
I wear my lanyard through a belt loop, as wearing it around my neck is a choking hazard, and I have argued that point with many's a H&S expert.

I worked at an oil company who treated their office H&S as they would their oil rig H&S. You could get kicked out of the building for not holding the handrail when climbing stairs. Or not walking on the left. God help you if you want a cigarette.
Also, manual handling requires gloves, but I would say "I'm using power tools to engage orbital fasteners and other mechanical fixings*, so the use of full finger gloves presents a greater risk of digital injury, as opposed to fingerless hand protective equipment". That was a ten minute debate involving several layers of management.

On the one hand, I like that they have a safety first culture across the entire business, no matter who you are. On the other hand, it's fucking daft.

*That means screwing in screws. Yes.

I enjoyed the 'walk on the right' system that they brought into the Ilac for covid times. Not a soul obeyed it, but I enjoyed getting silently enraged at the clowns coming towards me. I miss it. 'Walk on the left' would have been better though.

I wear my lanyard through a belt loop, as wearing it around my neck is a choking hazard, and I have argued that point with many's a H&S expert.
Why don’t they just use those ones that have a fastener in them that open when they’re tugged on like in hospitals (so a violent patient can’t choke you to death).

I enjoyed the 'walk on the right' system that they brought into the Ilac for covid times. Not a soul obeyed it, but I enjoyed getting silently enraged at the clowns coming towards me. I miss it. 'Walk on the left' would have been better though.
The Jervis system was more fun, where the two lanes actually cross over on the way to the escalator

Minor pleasure - overhearing Mrs. egg_ on the phone complaining that the bare-root trees she's ordered are not quercus robur but quercus rubra. "You're talking to a botanist here, and quercus rubra is not Irish oak". Haha oh dear, they've bitten off more than they can chew if they're disagreeing
she sounds cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back