Minor Pleasures (6 Viewers)

Catering at work.

The newer guys don't expect it, but at least on our crew, they respect it.
There was hasselbad potatoes today and they were great. I get some shit about being a potato muncher over here from time to time, but the two Romanians, the Latvian, the Scottish man, and the other very incongruous Irishman agreed with the wordless appreciation of hungry men, these spuds are good. Everyone likes potatoes.

I've started eating spuds again, just from being in the country.
I grew up eating them, but never ate them when I was living abroad, I thought I'd gone off them. Now I'm choking them down like I need to make up for lost time.

(And, as I'm furiously ramming spuds down my throat, I'm simultaneously doing the "potatoes are very healthy for you... vitamin C... don't need to peel them really either... best part of the potato is the skin"

ALL of which might have been heard from a home economics teacher in 3rd year in the corridor, with possibly exactly no basis at all in fact.)

I've started eating spuds again, just from being in the country.
I grew up eating them, but never ate them when I was living abroad, I thought I'd gone off them. Now I'm choking them down like I need to make up for lost time.

I support this motion.
Even without the stupid vitamins, having lumps hot mass inside your body at this time of year* is a good move.

*discount the sexual organs of strangers, to pre-empt the fish in a barrel

im eating loads of baby spuds for the january/high blood pressure health kick. microwave em. then microwave from frozen veg. then eat em.

Our microwave is one of those with a convection oven built in so can do a reasonable cooked spud using heat and microwave; I have it with grated cheese, Sriracha and coleslaw.

I just got one of those mesh wifi setups for the house, TP Link Deco something, and it's not bad. The set up is a tiny bit annoying, but once you have your nodes booted up the place is AWASH with wifi signals.

Here, @ann post would your old man know about stuff that might survive in a garden that's on the sea? Sheltered enough, but on the sea so it would be getting salty air I suppose. At the moment it's really just space to fill, but there's something especially suitable I'd stick some in and give it a go. I'd be thinking more about birds / spiders / pollinators than crops. Thugs would be welcome, because I'm not going to be looking after it very much for a few years.

Here, @ann post would your old man know about stuff that might survive in a garden that's on the sea? Sheltered enough, but on the sea so it would be getting salty air I suppose. At the moment it's really just space to fill, but there's something especially suitable I'd stick some in and give it a go. I'd be thinking more about birds / spiders / pollinators than crops. Thugs would be welcome, because I'm not going to be looking after it very much for a few years.

The short answer is probably to ignore it, or ignore a section of it and see what shows up. The birds and wind will ship things into a lawn over time. Heather is a great tonic to a garden because it gets the bees out to work early and kickstarts the area a bit. Onions kinda like sand or marsh, spuds too i think have a different kinda taste if you grow them in coastal soils. Spud planting is traditionally done on st patricks day, you can just get the ones you like from the shop and bury them, a few maintenances to be done over the months though.

holy shit, sea holly looks amazing. I think I've seen this elsewhere, but I didn't know the name.

Heather is lovely too. I'll give that a test.
Yeah, ok this is great. Thank you @ann post and @magicbastarder

I'm going to try to get a hedge going. There's the usual fuschia running rampant, but I'd like to get a hedge growing in along a path down a hill and see if I can get it to arch over and meet on the top to form a tunnel sort of deal.
So maybe hawthorn and things that will flower early to kick things off like you were saying.

holy shit, sea holly looks amazing. I think I've seen this elsewhere, but I didn't know the name.

Heather is lovely too. I'll give that a test.
Yeah, ok this is great. Thank you @ann post and @magicbastarder

I'm going to try to get a hedge going. There's the usual fuschia running rampant, but I'd like to get a hedge growing in along a path down a hill and see if I can get it to arch over and meet on the top to form a tunnel sort of deal.
So maybe hawthorn and things that will flower early to kick things off like you were saying.
There's a house around here that has a border hedge made completely with some form of ferns, I assume to protect against the strong winds and sea air. It looks pretty cool and they have a big crop garden going on as well. They're not right by the sea like you are though.

You can kind of see it here although the "hedge" is even bigger right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back