Minor Pleasures (6 Viewers)

I have no problem with the concept of jury duty, per se. My problem is how we were treated when in that jury reception room. You're left sitting for hours on wooden chairs, with security guards in front of all the doors to stop you getting out.

It all felt very uncomfortable and I'd be looking to get out of it, if called again.
so the people who liked and winnered @Unicron 's post upthread were concerned that he might have been bored or uncomfortable? bring a book and a cushion.

some responsibilities suck but it doesn't make them optional.

anyway, ignore me today - i've had 4 hours kip and am one-third of the way through an 18 hour day.

Ordinarily I'd be all for doing it, I think it'd be interesting to do, but we've training courses all that week someone is flying in from the UK to deliver them, dozens of people will be doing them, it's been arranged for months and can't be moved just because I have to go to court.
fair enough, entirely legit reason and i wasn't having a go at you, just the notion that jury duty is something to be avoided.

so the people who liked and winnered @Unicron 's post upthread were concerned that he might have been bored or uncomfortable? bring a book and a cushion.

some responsibilities suck but it doesn't make them optional.

anyway, ignore me today - i've had 4 hours kip and am one-third of the way through an 18 hour day.

so to put this into further context, on the wednesday I was on jury duty I suffered a migraine. A pretty severe one too. I felt fairly intimidated by the security people so, though it crossed my mind to say it to them to see if they'd let me go home on 'medical' grounds, I decided myself they wouldn't allow me, so I sat there for 4 hours, blind, fighting the urge to puke, and generally dying.

I don't think a cushion would have prevented that. And, yeah, I should have asked them to excuse me. But do you reckon they would have? I'm not convinced anyway.

I should also add that, about a month beforehand, I was subpoened to a case in the high court as a witness to something that I voluntarily came forward for.

I was called by 2 separate defence teams, and to say I was treated like complete shit, is an understatement. The case was settled in the corridoors, and do you think anyone came to tell me? Nope, not a fuckin hope. I had to go and find that out for myself. And I had to fight to get my expenses covered.

I remember telling this to a barrister mate a couple of months later and telling him how I would never voluntarily offer myself as a witness to anything again (within reason). He was disgusted at how I described how I was treated and said he didn't blame me, but that it was fucked up legal teams treated people that way because, after all, witnesses are kind of important.

I probably conflated this negative experience with my negative experience of jury duty and, as a result, the whole legal system in this country can go fuck itself.

And I would see that, in both cases, I was doing my civic duty. Just, I wasn't treated with respect when doing so, so civic duty can go fuck itself too.

I should also add that, about a month beforehand, I was subpoened to a case in the high court as a witness to something that I voluntarily came forward for.

I was called by 2 separate defence teams, and to say I was treated like complete shit, is an understatement. The case was settled in the corridoors, and do you think anyone came to tell me? Nope, not a fuckin hope. I had to go and find that out for myself. And I had to fight to get my expenses covered.

I remember telling this to a barrister mate a couple of months later and telling him how I would never voluntarily offer myself as a witness to anything again (within reason). He was disgusted at how I described how I was treated and said he didn't blame me, but that it was fucked up legal teams treated people that way because, after all, witnesses are kind of important.

I probably conflated this negative experience with my negative experience of jury duty and, as a result, the whole legal system in this country can go fuck itself.

And I would see that, in both cases, I was doing my civic duty. Just, I wasn't treated with respect when doing so, so civic duty can go fuck itself too.
I've been called as a witness before in a situation where I was the wronged party and I can testify (sorry) that it was an abhorrent experience end to end but I've also been on a jury before and UC is bang on when he says that if you forego your representation you are potentially leaving a defendant in the hands of a bunch of busy-bodies, an Iona instuter and a handful of mental cases. Should you ever find yourself in that situation you'd want decent people to make the effort.

Make your own Nutella! Hazelnuts, chocolate, some good quality oil, vanilla etc.
Nothing has ever matched Nutella. Any other brand (I’ve never made my own, mind) and I fully believe them that nothing works as well as palm oil (which is why they won’t switch) so I’m resigned to just being without.

Nothing has ever matched Nutella. Any other brand (I’ve never made my own, mind) and I fully believe them that nothing works as well as palm oil (which is why they won’t switch) so I’m resigned to just being without.

You're probably completely right. I've found the "just get over it and let it go" approach has worked for me in all of the things I've given up as a vegan. Cheese, for examle. I could play the game where I convince myself that nutritional yeast tastes like parmesan and not arse, or buy into those fake cheeses that taste like feet, or I could serve myself better by moving on and accepting I don't eat cheese anymore.

Interestingly, so many vegan processed crap is FULL of palm oil. I'd actually rather eat dairy every once in a while than be a vegan that consumes so much palm oil.

I must be alone in hating Nutella. I had a Ferrero Rocher over Xmas and was dismayed to realise it's basically overpriced Nutella in a ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back