Minor complaints thread (23 Viewers)

is that the one written by the tennis coach who realised he didn't really need to coach? i think i heard about it on a michael lewis podcast episode.
this is the one:

is that the one written by the tennis coach who realised he didn't really need to coach? i think i heard about it on a michael lewis podcast episode.
Well, depends on what you mean by "coach". Like - I don't think he stopped coaching, but he radically changed how he went about it. Probably the main theme is physical learning by observation rather than using instructions-in-words

what i remember was his realisation that most
Well, depends on what you mean by "coach". Like - I don't think he stopped coaching, but he radically changed how he went about it. Probably the main theme is physical learning by observation rather than using instructions-in-words
the way i remember it from the podcast was that he realised that most people he was coaching didn't need him to tell them what they were doing wrong (or right); they knew it already. the 'origin story' of the book was one day he was coaching someone and he stopped giving instructions and he realised they were doing what he'd have been telling them anyway.

If no one has noticed in 30 years, why bother?

It’s a bit of the ‘if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it etc..’ thing?
because it's obvious where I went wrong, and the rest of it sounds pretty good, if I do say so myself. No one will ever hear it anyway, but I "know"

I have an easy fix for that. Never play covers.

Although I think I'm missing out on a lot of fun.
Learning covers over the years has taught me so much. Usually, I am far from a perfectionist about these things..but in this case, I am soooo close (makes gesture with fingers to indicate small measurement)

I have a friend who is a great guitarist and can mimic so many famous songs , in both his playing and effects pedals, but I have to feign interest because that doesn't appeal to me at all

It's this, for anyone interested

🎶I don't care who's interested
I'm learning this opening run all the same🎵

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have an easy fix for that. Never play covers.

Although I think I'm missing out on a lot of fun.

I only enjoy learning covers to the point where i get an idea of how the writer is thinking, or an idea of their approach. Once I find that I've little to no interest in getting things perfect, or even learning the rest of it.

Learning covers over the years has taught me so much. Usually, I am far from a perfectionist about these things..but in this case, I am soooo close (makes gesture with fingers to indicate small measurement)

I have a friend who is a great guitarist and can mimic so many famous songs , in both his playing and effects pedals, but I have to feign interest because that doesn't appeal to me at all

I think my main focus when learning was to be able to write my own songs... and then I just did versions of other songs rather than covers in the proper sense.

This definitely slowed my learning of technique etc...and in a way I regret it.
but as a 'mature' 'musician' I still get more pleasure out of coming up with my own take on something than having it note perfect.

The one thing I love about folk music/songs in particular (in a traditional sense), is that by it's very nature songs evolve and are adapted over time, every player/singer putting their own slant on it (at least that's what I tell myself when I realise I've misremembered words)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back