Minor complaints thread (24 Viewers)

Big elm?. That's unusual. We were looking for examples in the woodland trust.
Yeah, tbh I don't know how big full-grown elms get, but this is as big as a full-grown ash tree. It's been there since we moved in (and obvs for quite some time before), sorry to see it go. You think we ought to take cuttings or anything from it before we saw it up?

if you know of any other large elms in your area, let us know - it'd usually be around may or june that they set seed, which is obviously early compared to most other trees.

it would be the seeds we'd have been looking for - did it throw completely (i.e. did the roots come up too) or is there still a stump?
ATM it's leaning at a 45 degree angle, so I expect some of the roots are connected still. I've read that shoots can grow up from a stump, so maybe when we're getting it all sawn up we should leave the stump?

yes, and elm can sucker from its roots too.
if you can cut a branch off, you might be able to tell if it has dutch elm disease - you often get a dark brown ring inside the branch:

speaking of wood related very minor complaints - I've begun to cut the scarf joint on that length of maple you gave me. God that stuff is hard! I've not been well, but I'm crawling through it!

but its also a minor pleasures as its a lovely piece of timber, and planing it is a joy. Also the hardness means I'm cutting so slowly I'm so far managing to keep the cut fairly right (a 13degree cut through a 4-5'' length of hardwood by hand is pretty hard to prevent the saw drifting slightly)

Big elm?. That's unusual. We were looking for examples in the woodland trust.
Did they look at the Hill of Tara, do you know, MB? The 'woodland' just has young ones but there are some mature ones in the hedgerow to the south. Some dead, standing and fallen, so I suppose if they have dutch elm the whole lot could be infected?

humane mouse traps are twice as expensive as the killer ones. but I forked out anyway.

I checked just now and the trap had triggered. I checked it because I thought maybe the breeze blew it over. when I checked the little fucker broke free and escaped back into the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back